Author Topic: How to access the CHEST to make changes?  (Read 4085 times)

Volusiagirl

How to access the CHEST to make changes?
« on: October 23, 2009, 06:51:26 PM »

How does one open the chest???

My husband was playing his favorite game (Ricochet Infinity) and a pop up came up that said a "malware" had been found in the game {{after playing it for over 2 years???}}   anyway...he didn't know what to do about it, so he just clicked on "send to chest" and after that , his game would not load or work anymore.

I have tried everything I can see to get to the chest, and cannot find out how to do this.  I am running the freeware version of Avast 4.8 .
Thanks for any help.

spg SCOTT

Re: How to access the CHEST to make changes?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 06:58:36 PM »
Hi Volusiagirl, welcome to the forum :)

First, I would suggest rather than just restoring the file, you should check if it is actually infected.

To access the chest:
Right click avast! tray icon --> Start avast! antivirus -->when the interface loads, click on virus chest (circled in image)

Then follow these instructions:
(thanks to DavidR ;))

...You can't do this with the file securely in the chest, you need to extract it to a temporary (not original) location first, see below.

Create a folder called Suspect in the C:\ drive, e.g. C:\Suspect. Now exclude that folder in the Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add, type (or copy and paste) C:\Suspect\* That will stop the standard shield scanning any file you put in that folder. You should now be able to export any file in the chest to this folder and upload it to VirusTotal without avast alerting.
To export a file, just right click it and click extract. then choose the folder you created above...

Then upload the file to www.virustotal.com and report back with the link in your next post.

-Scott-

Volusiagirl

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 07:14:40 PM »
 ;D  thank you very much !!  I found the chest and saw that the ricochet file had some kind of malware, but it doesn't say what kind, or what it does.
I will continue with the rest of the suggestions as soon as the VDBG has loaded and hopefully, it will lead me through the process of regenerating the game file.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 07:21:51 PM »
I have just found this thread, saying it is fixed...so that it is a bit weird...(that is the same program right?)
Have you updated the virus database?