Author Topic: email zip files  (Read 5194 times)

TimN

email zip files
« on: June 16, 2003, 11:15:28 PM »
I've just started using the free copy of Avast4. I've noticed that if I have the Eicar test virus zip file sent to me by email it is immediately picked up. However if I send the file out it it not picked up. Why is this??

techie101

Re:email zip files
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 02:53:55 AM »
Tim,

Avast should detect a potential virus either way.

and I quote from Avast:

"E-mail protection consists of two independent modules; first, there is a generic scanner working on the SMTP/POP3/IMAP4 protocol level. It is capable of protecting any existing e-mail client that uses these protocols. Second, there is a special plugin for MS Outlook only; it is completely transparent, requiring no special settings.

New feature of version 4 is heuristic analysis of e-mail scanners. It is extremely useful in protecting against new, unknown viruses and worms that are not possible to detect by the usual means. The heuristic module performs a thorough investigation of every e-mail message and watches for suspicious signs that might announce virus presence. When the number of those signs exceeds the user-defined level, the message is considered dangerous and the user is warned.

Please use the Email Wizard and check your email protocols.  If they are set to the proper SMTP address, then I have no explanation as to why Avast did not detect it.

Keep me up on what results you have and we can stay with this until some conclusion is found.

Later... :-\

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 10:49:16 AM »
It seem that your outgoing mail is not scanned. Switch on the option "Show detailed info on performed action" in avast! On-Access Scanner dialog -> Internet Mail -> Advanced. Does it then display the "avast! On-Access Scanner Message" during mail sending ?
Also look in file C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\Data\log\aswMaiSv.log for "error" entries.

TimN

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 01:23:17 PM »
techie. I did use the Email wizard to set up the mail scan but I don't know waht the proper SMTP address is to check if they are OK

vojtech.  I'll check out your suggestions when I get home tonight and let you know what I find

TimN

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 01:47:40 PM »
Just thought. When I went through the email wizard it gave me a choice of two SMTP servers. I use Outlook express and use it to bring in POP3 mail from my 2 ISP online email account and from my 2 online yahoo email. I could only choose one of the two SMTP servers offered by Avast's email wizard. Could this mean that I'm only protected for either my ISP accounts or my yahoo accounts, but not both?

TimN

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2003, 12:19:03 AM »
Found the problem. When I open Outlook Express through the dialler supplied by my ISP it automatically resets the POP3 and SMTP settings