Author Topic: Windows7 inherits one of Windows'flaws...  (Read 7615 times)

Sesame

Re: Windows7 inherits one of Windows'flaws...
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 02:05:36 AM »
O.K.  I guess I'd wait and see if Windows 7 will really lives up to its promise this time around.  There was a fuss when Vista was released but it couldn't live up with the promise.  Even Mark Shuttleworth admitted the effort of Microsoft to some extent although he also couldn't but mention that MS hardened their policy about licensing against Linux as the other side of their effort.
The open-source community's reaction Windows 7 ranges from the biblical to the urbane. Ubuntu founder Mark Shuttleworth typifies the latter, welcoming a clean fight on netbooks, after Microsoft prolonged the life of Windows XP in the shadow of Windows Vista to provide a low-priced and functioning copy of Windows on netbooks against Linux.
From what he's seen, Shuttleworth actually quite likes Windows 7. "I'm not going to 'diss it", he told us around beta time in January. "We are in an awkward situation now because they are giving away XP in the netbook market - they are literally giving it way to OEMs," he claimed then and sticks to now... You can make the argument Linux is more expensive than Windows XP because Microsoft has been very aggressive in licensing." Shuttleworth plans to take on Windows 7 with Ubuntu 9.10, Karmic Koala, due next week.
Due to their "failure" in Vista, Microsoft seems to have learned to listen to the users as well as their "partner" companies.  I guess Microsoft seems to have done their best in securing their position against other OS's such as Google Chrome OS and Snow Leopard.  In any case, if these companies are going to polish their products for their users, I think the free market is working rather properly.

Hermite15

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 03:03:53 AM »
O.K.  I guess I'd wait and see if Windows 7 will really lives up to its promise this time around...

this was the whole point of the beta and the RC, you would know by now, may be  ;) ...as to what Shuttleworth thinks, honestly  ::) but it's your absolute damned right to refer to him, and keep waiting (I mean even the good things that Shuttleworth could/can say about Windows are of poor, very poor interest...Ubuntu being the worse piece of crap I've ever seen on a computer).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:55:41 AM by Logos »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 07:43:22 PM »
Hi Omid Farhang,

Starting again on a positive note, my good friend,
So, but when to tackle such issues in Windows?

You should clean your Registry as part of troubleshooting a software problem.
The problem could be specifically with Windows,
or it could be a third party software application or game.
I recommend people therefore to crap clean before shutdown
and to use Secunia PSI to watch over the update status of third party software...

A Registry cleaner scans through the Windows Registry
and removes information that's no longer needed.
But when everything runs without problems and
you did not cause the problem yourself, leave your hands off of the registry....
Back up your registry at regular times is always a good option...
Also check your programs with Dependency Walker and dll checker...

As Windows and your other software operate,
they should automatically "clean up" after themselves.
But they don't always, and over time electronic residue and debris build up.
The Registry grows bloated.
If this gets bad enough,
it could start interfering with normal operation.

The Registry concept was introduced in Windows 95.
Part of the reason was to have one gigantic centralized place to store software information.
This made programming easier and helped Windows operate more efficiently.
Theoretically.

In practice, it's taken a while for Microsoft to get the Registry operating properly.
Some would argue there are still flaws in the Registry concept itself.
But usually, Windows XP machines are pretty Registry-stable.

If you think you may need to clean your Registry,
here are reasons and situations that could indicate it's time for Registry "hoovering":

A program uninstall had problems, and the software wasn't uninstalled properly.
After installing or uninstalling a program, Windows starts crashing or acting funny.
First try additional and specific uninstallers.....

You've installed and uninstalled lots (and lots) of software over the years,
and are noticing more and more errors when doing so.

You're running Windows ME, Windows 2000 or older software,
and are noticing problems like those above.
These versions of Windows were less efficient at Registry management.

Also read about the ScanReg and System Restore tools,
as both of them are programs allowing you to save "snapshots" of your registry at different times.
You can then reload old versions as needed to restore your system back to a (pre-problem) state.

Also SpywareBlaster can regularly take scanshots of the Registry.....

polonus
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 07:45:00 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 01:23:21 AM »
thanks polonus for reply.

all you said are very good for taking care of windows registry.

but I could not express what's in my mind. I am saying why windows should be in the way that need this much "maintenance"? why it's not solid enough?
from another view, I want to say why it should has "registry"? why "Windows and registry area" is not untouchable like BIOS, different from Additional Programs area and only allow to change some variant to let it be customizable for user?

it's what I wish I could get answer for that from Microsoft.
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Hermite15

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 01:37:47 AM »
@ polonus:
you're sure SpywareBlaster includes the registry in its snapshots ?

Sesame

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2009, 04:40:35 AM »
O.K.  I guess I'd wait and see if Windows 7 will really lives up to its promise this time around...

this was the whole point of the beta and the RC, you would know by now, may be  ;) ...as to what Shuttleworth thinks, honestly  ::) but it's your absolute damned right to refer to him, and keep waiting (I mean even the good things that Shuttleworth could/can say about Windows are of poor, very poor interest...Ubuntu being the worse piece of crap I've ever seen on a computer).
Yes, MS development team seem to have done quite a nice job with communicating with the users and their effort shouldn't be ignored, although Alwil has been doing this quite a long time.  ;)  I don't use much of Linux but it's very stable system with much better memory usage.  However, it's still behind Windows when considering the ease-of-use for wider range of people.  It is definitely MS who made PC this popular through defacto-standard.  However, Ubuntu's source for profit is still based on old Linux style, means, they keep the company through offering services.  Now, Google Chrome OS, which seems to be similarly Debian-based, comes into the sight.  As you know, Google has a different source either from MS or old Linux style.  Also, their web services are pretty popular.  Now is my point...can Linux be successful if it is backed by Google?  This is the joint where my previous post and the other post I quoted come together and my question to the future.

Hermite15

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2009, 11:03:24 AM »
yeah, I wouldn't say about Linux in general what I stated here about Ubuntu. It's really Ubuntu that I can't stand, not Linux, and there are features that I do really appreciate, may be not the topic here. But even at its best (what I consider its best) Linux remains behind, far behind Windows. I've also been wondering about possible major changes with Google Chrome OS next year...being Google, it was easy for them to get in touch and make agreements with the major OEMs...just the MS way  ;) ... so there's another side of Linux that might emerge soon, let's wait and see...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 11:06:07 AM by Logos »