Author Topic: uninstall problem  (Read 16183 times)

Muru

uninstall problem
« on: October 30, 2009, 11:01:05 AM »
hi all
       im not able to uninstall my avast 4.8 home edition.
       the program is corrupt and throws up a RPC error. im not able to uninstall using add/remove program (it jus flashes for a second and vanishes). Im not able to boot my system in safe mode due to some virus. Not able to use aswclear.exe (i have disabled the self defence but still it asks me to disable it or boot in safe mode)
can some one help me to uninstall avast and reinstall a new version. im on windows XP.

Thanks in advance

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: uninstall problem
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 01:01:20 PM »
Hi Muru and welcome to the forums,

It appears odd that avast is uninstallable using aswclear.exe. From the info provided, I could tell that avast is corrupted due to the virus that prevents booting in Safe Mode.

Please consider removing the virus first.

Step 1: Windows Disk Cleanup Utility ============

1   Press Windows Key + R
2   Type in: cleanmgr
3   Put a check beside: Temporary Internet Files and Temporary Files. Optionally, you may check other options too
4   Click OK

Step 2: Malwarebytes Antimalware (MBAM) ============

1   Download Malwarebyes' Antimalware here
2   Proceed to installing MBAM after downloading
3   On the last dialog box, do not forget to leave Update Malwarebytes' Antimalware and Run Malwarebytes' Antimalware checked
4   Malwabytes' Antimalware GUI would appear, from there select Perform Quick Scan and click Scan
5   When scan is completed, click Show Results
6   Click Remove Selected and then, a notepad file will appear.
7   On the notepad window, click File > Save As and save it on your desktop. You may now close MBAM.
        NOTE: It would be better to execute the scan while no network connectivity is enabled.

Step 3: Hijack This (HJT) ============

1   Download Trend Micro Hijack This here
2   Install HJT in C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis (the location is already displayed by default). Click Install
3   HJT Window will appear. Click Do a system scan and save a logfile. A notepad file will pop-up once the scan is completed
5   Click on the Notepad window and click File > Save As and save the file on your desktop
6   Go back here on your topic and start a reply. On the Reply window, click Additional Options
7   Attach the two .txt files that we created and saved on your desktop (click more attachments to have more slots for attaching files)
        NOTE: Do not have HJT fix anything yet.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Muru

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 02:35:21 PM »
Hi L'Arc
         Thanks a lot for the reply. PFA the files you had asked for.

Note - When i try to boot in the safe mode my system goes into a blue screen warning and restarts automatically.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 03:25:27 PM »
Hi again Muru,

It appears like you are heavily attacked with viruses. According to your HJT log, I found that:

1   Antivirus
     You already have an antivirus (QuickHeal), but I don't think QuickHeal would be able to give you complete protection yet. So I suggest you to uninstall QuickHeal and try reinstalling avast.

2   Firewall
     You are either using Windows XP's firewall or no firewall at all. It would be better to install a firewall with Outbound Protection to enhance your security. Examples of those are:

1   Agnitum Outpost Firewall
2   PC Tools Firewall Plus
3   Online Armor Firewall

NOTE: Use only one firewall. Two or more firewalls can cause system instability and conflicts.

3   Update
     You have some outdated softwares. Please consider updating them after system is cleaned.

1   Windows XP Service Pack > SP3
2   Internet Explorer > 8
3   Adobe Acrobat > 9.2

4   Entries
1   R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride=*.iimb.ernet.in;*.local;
        Fix this entry by putting a check beside this entry then click Fix checked to fix the entry
2   vreffnyqywacim.dll in C:\WINDOWS\system32\
        Please send these file to VirusTotal and provide us a link to the results.
3   DBabble.exe in C:\Program Files\BRacket\
        Please send these file to VirusTotal and provide us a link to the results.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 03:31:36 PM by .: L' arc :. »
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1