Author Topic: Question about MSE  (Read 4797 times)

cinchez

Question about MSE
« on: October 28, 2009, 01:37:02 PM »
I have MSE now and Im quite happy with its work together with avast!^^

Now I set MSE to scan daily, 8PM, but before doing so, it must run an update for signatures...

The scan and update did work...

The problem is that when I explored my drive(C) I found a folder with a strange name...(see attachment)

Is this normal?
Thanks^^

-AnimeLover^^

Hermite15

Re: Question about MSE
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 01:52:53 PM »
don't know I don't have MSE currently installed, and never noticed that when it was, anyway:
http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/vdm (avoid the free scan link on that page  ;D )

edit: more serious here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/filedb/mpasdlta.vdm-41695.html

the file type already belonged to MS antispy (before defender) when run on XP. Can't tell in which conditions the file is generated though.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:56:14 PM by Logos »

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 02:59:28 PM »
Files with strange names like that are lefovers from failed Windows updates:
http://www.winvistatips.com/possible-leftover-folder-after-windows-update-t281361.html

Its a long topic but it looks like the user is still using XP SP2

cinchez

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 01:29:15 PM »
Thanks for ur answers^^

So is it ok to delete em?^^

-AnimeLover^^

RugbyPete

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 01:49:38 PM »
Alongside??

Am I ignorant to say thats a daft thing to do having two AV's on your machine - unless you;re running with no residential shield on one of them?

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 01:59:00 PM »
sounds the biggest issue here is people seem to be willing to have MSE on board (resident or not) at all cost, just because it's a Microsoft product, and they feel it should belong to a Windows install, just like Defender did...extremely subjective  ;D The other thing is that MSE is good (from misc reviews and tests), and people forget that even if it's good, even if it's an MS product, they should make a choice and not have two AV installed, and also stop hiding their "concerns" behind the pretext of layered security  :)

cinchez

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 03:48:14 PM »
Ok I admit I have two antiviruses running at the same time...namely MSE and avast!...
No problem "at the moment" but I know theres some to come^^

I feel insecure as to my security so I installed MSE...I know avast! is a great AV but I still have a feeling that its still not enough...hmmm...  ;)

So it would be better to answer my question first than to tell me having two residents are NOT recommended^^ ;D

Thanks a lot^^

-AnimeLover^^

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 03:51:59 PM »
@+AdDicT+

Make sure that Real-time protection is turned off.