Author Topic: AVAST Home edition locked out-suspect virus  (Read 3821 times)

dlane123

AVAST Home edition locked out-suspect virus
« on: October 28, 2009, 12:22:40 AM »
I have been an Avast user for some time with full protection and satisfaction.  However, I am now locked out from running Avast on my computer.  I tried downloading another version but couldn't put in the key.  I tried to uninstall my current version in hopes of downloading a new version but couldn't uninstall the current version.  The Avast ball is not on system tray bar.  It appears a virus has disabled  my Avast.  Any advice or help will be appreciated. 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: AVAST Home edition locked out-suspect virus
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 01:33:45 AM »
What errors are you getting when trying to uninstall avast ?

- What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image ?

avast! icon missing - As a temporary measure until this is resolved you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut). You will need to run this after each boot until the problem is resolved.

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

Check the option in the Appearance tab of Program Settings. Or Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder. I wouldn't try this as a first option (but a final one) as you won't be able to find the true cause of the problem.

####
If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it and report the findings (it should product a log file).

Don't worry about reported tracking cookies they are a minor issue and not one of security, allow SAS to deal with them though. - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dlane123

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 04:20:18 PM »
Thanks DavidR.  Since my last, I downloaded and ran Norton. It found problems and fixed them and Avast is working again.  However, I now have two virus programs running and want to get to one if this could create a problem. There were three things funny about my computer when it was sick.  I could not use Ctrl- alt-del keys to access Task Manager, my search engine flipped to Gala and wanted me to buy Antivirus software and a Program called Virus Eliminator attached itself to my computer and wanted money to eliminate announced viruses.  Thanks again for your help; I will work on your suggestions.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 05:05:08 PM »
Norton can be an absolute pain in the rear to get rid of, even after an uninstall, so you could have complications as a result. Having two resident scanners installed is not recommended as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable.

So uninstall Norton and also run the removal tool:
A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Or ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

The two programs I listed are likely to find these other minor issues and SAS has a Repair tab and one of the options is to enable the Task Manager amongst other things.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dlane123

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 11:56:45 PM »
Thanks again.  You have been more than helpful.  I downloaded and ran the two free programs you recommended and they both found problems and corrected them.  My computer is now zipping along like new.  I will uninstall Norton but it did get me back to a functioning Avast.  I still am not sure what locked me out of Avast and task manager.  However, I do appreciate your help.  If you are not getting paid for your knowledge, you need to start a business.  Thanks Again.  Dave Lane

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 01:36:40 AM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.