Author Topic: Possible bug?  (Read 5984 times)

Kobra

Possible bug?
« on: June 09, 2004, 07:09:07 AM »
I think this might be a bug.

When I right click the tray icon, go into resident options, then close it, and then go into the enhanced interface/Tasks for the resident program and check the packers options for the standard shield, they are all turned off.

If I turn ALL packer options on in enhanced interface/tasks again and then exit, then right click the tray icon, go into options, then exit again, they are all reset to OFF.

Endless vicious cycle, is this a bug or what?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:Possible bug?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 01:51:43 PM »
A? Don't quiet understand you ???
Packers can be set only under Tasks in Enhanced GUI. In On-Access settings,there is no such option.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 02:43:07 PM »
Well, I must say I don't understand it exactly either. I tried to test and the packer settings seemed to be OK...

How exactly did you close the "resident options"? Could you describe the whole process step by step, please?

Kobra

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 03:08:15 PM »
I tell ya, I always seem to find the wierdest bugs...  Let me try to show you with pictures.  Ironically, the problem is solved now with a system reboot as long as I rebooted without switching between the two and resetting them, so I believe the problem could be with a configuration file save error of some type. (just guessing)

See attached shot.. If you change the settings on that screen in relation to packers....  (see next post for continuation)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 03:11:22 PM by Kobra »

Kobra

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 03:08:50 PM »
Then you exit that, and go and change the settings on this screen..  Then the settings on the previous one are wiped out, reset to default I believe.  I was able to duplicate this a good 10 times last night, and probably could again if I messed with it. lol

« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 03:10:01 PM by Kobra »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 03:50:10 PM »
Ok now i get it. Well if i tell you,i have the same behavior :(

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 03:52:55 PM »
Hmm, I don't  ???
What exactly do you change on the second screen? Anything, nothing, doesn't matter... ?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 03:56:35 PM »
 have changed from "Only files with selected extension" to "All files". Then i went pack to packers screen in tasks and they were all set back to previous settings.

Kobra

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 05:15:32 PM »
Hmm, I don't  ???
What exactly do you change on the second screen? Anything, nothing, doesn't matter... ?

It doesn't seem to matter how I fudge with settings, it resets them.  :)  I will do a bit more testing later, but I can't really pin down why its doing it, but of course, I don't have the code section infront of me to see.  LOL!

Like I said, if theres a bug, i'm like 100% assured I will run into it.  A blessing or a scourge?  I do a good bit of professional beta testing and QC though, so I guess it does come in handy - the ability to BREAK things that is, and the attention to detail enough to notice things not working as they should.

My previous AV before Avast was the excessively powerful eXtendia AVK.  But I managed to find 3-4 bugs there, in a product that is probably 2+ years old and has long been considered "Finished" in development terms.  Unfortunately, lack of fixes from them was most disheartening.  Especially when one of the bugs I found, was a certain configuration with the AV that would not allow any search engines or Google to function!  LOL!

Now if I could just get ya'll to put Advanced Heuristics throughout Avast, i'd be set!   ;D

(Before AVK I ran NOD32, now THAT was buggy. 6-10 bug reports sent to them, not a single response, doh!)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 05:18:10 PM by Kobra »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 06:08:45 PM »
This is no repro with the current build. Hopefully it will be solved tomorrow with the new program update.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Humble

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2004, 03:14:11 AM »
Noticed that also, just stopping, and restarting fixed it for me.  (the settings in the enhanced view take precedence over the tray options I guess)

Kobra

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2004, 04:13:38 AM »
This is already fixed in beta, I just tried it on my other box, which is running trial-beta version.  Unless I can break it again, i'll say this is probably fixed after tomorrows new release. Hehe