Author Topic: ashSERV question - CPU Time  (Read 6963 times)

Kobra

ashSERV question - CPU Time
« on: June 09, 2004, 05:29:04 PM »
I noticed ashServ on a fresh reboot has a pretty high CPU time immediately, and I notice it steadily climbs the longer my PC is up and running.

My question is, what is this module?  I'm half inclined to think its the update poll mechanism checking for updates and listening for pushes?  Of course, thats pure guesswork on that one.

My question is, on low low end systems, this might be a bit too much CPU Time?  Is there a way to disable this, and to manually schedule updates at set intervals throughout the day with the service running?  I steered a friend to check out Avast, but the CPU time on this module is too high for his machine, and is up to 10 times higher than many other AV's.

MANUALLY having to update isn't what I mean, but a task to poll for updates or something without the service running would be more what I would mean.  But of course, that relies on my guess that ashSERV is the update part.  If it isn't, then what is it, and how can I reduce/remove its CPU time?

For example, total Cpu time for all AVK modules is less than :02.  For NOD32, total CPU time after hours of being on, is :01. Seeking answers, hope someone can help with this.

Regards

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:ashSERV question - CPU Time
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 05:40:47 PM »
ashServ hosts the on-access scanner, among other things.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Kobra

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 05:43:52 PM »
Guess that answers my question - nothing I can do to lower the CPU time drastically?

Regards

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 05:46:13 PM »
Um mine was maximal at 0.5 % when opening Paintshop Pro 8,all other time is sitting at 0 %.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 05:58:59 PM »
Well the more files you scan, the higher CPU usage will be (what a surprise  :)) So basically the less you scan, the better. P2P shield tends to scan lot and is often responsible for high ashServ CPU loads (that's because for some P2P apps, it scans partial fragments -- not whole downloads) - because the P2P app is closing the temp file too often...

Kobra

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 06:30:16 PM »
Um mine was maximal at 0.5 % when opening Paintshop Pro 8,all other time is sitting at 0 %.

Uhh, we aren't talking about CPU Usage, we are talking about CPU TIME.  Major difference here.

Open Task Manager, selection VIEW, then Columns, and turn on CPU Time.  CPU Usage is a meaningless statistic in the long term,  CPU Time is what you want to watch.  Bad part is, ashSERV has nearly double the CPU time of anything else on my machine.

???

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 06:39:12 PM »
Uhh, we aren't talking about CPU Usage, we are talking about CPU TIME.  Major difference here.

No difference. Cpu_usage = Cpu_Time x Time_Slice

It just says for how long the process had (virtually) 100% CPU Usage (recalculated for a unit of time).

Kobra

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 07:14:34 PM »
Thats what I was referring to as being a major difference.  CPU Usage is the exact usage at that very moment.  CPU Time, is the total usage during the timeslice.  Which is how I guage the performance of a product when writting reviews and such, and determining what to keep on my box.  Its one thing to look at the CPU usage when you run an application, that tells me very little in relation to the overall picture. Looking at CPU Time is where its at - I wanted make sure he understood the important, and distinct differences between what I was inquiring about, and what he was reporting.

On a similar  note, I disabled un-used services, such as the Internet Mail, P2P (I use Azureus BT Client anyway, and thats not supported), and MSN/IM protection (I don't have file transfers on there anyway).  Now the CPU time is a fragment of what it was before.  Only :05 after 3 hours of uptime.  So one of those modules, that wasn't even being used, was definately causing a rundown of my cpu time.

Regards.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 07:19:59 PM by Kobra »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 07:30:49 PM »
Well if so,i have 58 seconds of CPU time in 23h 47min 36sec of Standard-Shield runtime. Unless Taskmanager CPU time is formated days/hours/minutes instead of hours/minutes/seconds.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Humble

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 04:10:52 PM »
So... what else is housed under ashserv?  Everything? In 11 hours of uptime, ashserv has taken 55 minutes 07 seconds of CPU Time.  My guess would be that a lot of that would be the VRDB generation since I have so many files.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 04:12:19 PM by Humble »

Kobra

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2004, 04:21:16 PM »
VRDB generation will take up a good bit of CPU time, correct.