Author Topic: Firefox 3.6 Beta 1  (Read 10075 times)

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Firefox 3.6 Beta 1
« on: October 31, 2009, 04:20:51 PM »
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Firefox 3.6 Beta 1
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 06:49:21 PM »
Hi bob3160,

Nice find and bookmarked,

pol
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 07:06:23 PM »
Not using it, too early in the beta cycle for my blood.

Though this is encouraging:
Installing

Please note that installing Firefox 3.6 Beta will not overwrite your existing installation of Firefox. You won’t lose any of your bookmarks or browsing history, but some of your extensions and other add-ons might not work until updates for them are made available.

This allows you to at least try, if it is indeed isolated from your existing installation rather than having to replace it. So I might give it a try, depends on how many add-ons I would lose using FF v3.6b1.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 07:08:03 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 07:49:05 PM »
Hi DavidR,

Never heard users here about Nightly Tester Tools to make extensions compatible for a test version of Fx or Flock, this always worked for me. There is the odd case where two extensions are not compatible and off course one should update extensions to the latest versions always, but why loose the additional security of Namoroko for instance because of fear that Nightly Tester Tools won't do its job?

I always visit burning edge to see what is burning there in the firefox trenches, I am an active member of the NoScript extension forum and talk in-browser security there. Browser security goes in  a certain direction in spite of certain developer trends and in-crowds, but some things need some time to be accepted and implemented like CPB and at the other side there is the deadweight of ad-leechers, browser-trackers and those that hamper security because it disturbs their commercial pay-model,

polonus

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 07:53:06 PM »
I don't know why I have always kept away from these nightly tester tools as I don't want to make all add-ons compatible, as you don't really know what is going on, I would much rather the add-ion is flagged incompatible.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 08:36:22 PM »
tried it a couple of weeks ago already (as nightly)...80% of my add-ons weren't compatible...will wait for an RC or even the final before moving.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 10:15:38 PM »
Hi DavidR,

Even with Nightly Tester Tools your add-ons/extensions just will be checked for newer/latest versions, you always will have the latest versions of the extensions inside your Mozilla browser and as developers of mentioned extensions want their creations to work in the latest nightly build and beyond they will run there or it means the extension developers just hold the line. I know whatever Firefox (pre-)(beta-)build NoScript always runs there and that is enough to be protected from yesterdays threats, today's threats and threats that even have to be dreamt up in the near and/or faraway future, so I have full confidence in my flaw of browser, a thing I cannot say when I am on not so familiar ground with STWare's Iron, GoogleChrome or IE8 even. I just wanted you to know that and I experimented around with my Firefox browser with all sorts of chrome and content files, fuzzing all sorts, analyzing error consoles, firebug reports, testing Mozilla bug patches and the outcome of regressions, know some great coders out in the trenches where firefox wants to go security wise and like the versatility. What I lack is the sandbox features like GoogleChrome brought them in, but you cannot build firefox up from scratch like the developers of the Google browser did, and mind you folks, this is an awefully secure browser as well - the hackers could not get a dent in there, mind you - that has been proven. Then also don't forget we have the webshield to protect us, and avast there is "state of the art". I learned an awful lot being a Firefox nightly build test pilot, but I can also understand those that do not have the guts to follow where I venture out, and even I will never take even a calculated risk, visors up, always!

polonus aka luntrus

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 10:50:18 PM »
You live a dangerous life... ;D ...the changes between 3.5 and 3.6 are not worth the tweaking (either manually or with MR Tech...) of all extensions. 3.6 just corrects bugs, is a bit faster and adds minor features...nothing to be very excited about. Might be different when 3.7 comes out. I think they want to integrate Weave and Prism...not a hundred percent sure though.

Alan Baxter

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 10:53:47 PM »
Not using it, too early in the beta cycle for my blood.

Though this is encouraging:
Installing

Please note that installing Firefox 3.6 Beta will not overwrite your existing installation of Firefox. You won’t lose any of your bookmarks or browsing history, but some of your extensions and other add-ons might not work until updates for them are made available.

This allows you to at least try, if it is indeed isolated from your existing installation rather than having to replace it. So I might give it a try, depends on how many add-ons I would lose using FF v3.6b1.

It might use your default profile though.  There's probably a Portable Firefox version.  I think the portable version uses a different profile.  Or you can do what I do, i.e. only start the beta with a short cut like
Code: [Select]
"D:\Program Files\Mozilla Namoroka Alpha-Beta\firefox.exe" -no-remote -P NamorokaThis will prevent any accidental modification of your default working profile.  Copy places.sqlite from your working profile to the test profile if you want to use your bookmarks and browsing history while testing.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 11:34:15 PM »
@ Logos
I noticed that there really wasn't much in it and my only interest would be the possible speed improvement, anything to help on dial-up.

@ Alan

Thanks for that Alan just in case option. I'm already in the habit of running firefox from a shortcut with a switch to run it under DropMyRights, so another couple of switches won't be any bother.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 12:14:53 AM »
Hi malware fighters,

A new security add-on to add to your security arsenal, see: http://longurl.org/  - install from: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9549

Kaspersky's : Krab Krawler-tool" detected a hundred to thousand shortened URL's daily that linked to malware-sites, this comes down to 1 per 500 placed links: URL-shorteners like Bit.ly and Tr.im, are widely popular on the microblogging service sites, but a browser user cannot see where they lead to. So tweet and treat is the threat to-day..

A raw  26% of all  Twitter messages have a link on them. Half is spammer generated or comes from malcreants. The links that are crawled every two and twelve hours are added to security software signatures. All social networks should be scanned for this. But with the firefox add-on you have it in your own hands...not to go to malware re-directs...

pol

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 12:55:01 AM »
@ David: if you're looking for speed, give a shot to Chrome, it's amazingly fast. But you won't get FF security.
@ Polonus: thanks for the link to this add-on. Really needed on twitter. Pondus posted a thread yesterday I think about
spam/scam on twitter...I use TweetDeck, external app for twitter that gives you a preview of short urls after a first click.
Only problem is that sometimes the short url seems to be linked to another short url...see what I mean, it's rare but it happens.
Gonna give a shot to this add-on  ;)

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=50414.msg426865#msg426865
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 01:00:39 AM by Logos »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 01:05:58 AM »
I tried chrome and didn't like it, mind you that was a while ago; it appears faster yes, but that simply isn't enough if you don't like its interface, configurability and lack of add-ons, oh and as polonus would say its privacy issues.

Omega40

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 01:40:42 AM »
I can use Personas now!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 02:23:14 AM »
Well 3.6b1 lasted less than 30 minutes on my system whilst it is installed in a different location to your existing avast. It does as Alan Baxter mentioned use your profile and I couldn't get the workaround switches he gave to work.

Worst of all about 75% of my add-ons didn't work, even after downloading a compatibility reported add-on that was a) meant to enable incompatible add-ons so you could check and see if they did work or not and report. For a very short time this appeared to work but on reboot, back to square one with lots of incompatible add-ons.

Next pain in the rear, none of my Themes worked either, so it was back to the firefox default theme, which is pants.

The browsing speed didn't seem any different for the few sites like this one that I browsed, so no noticeable improvement in speed for me.

So I decided not to waste any further time on it, so no new persona for me just back to 3.5.4.