Author Topic: Avast + Firewall - which one  (Read 16980 times)

JerryM

Avast + Firewall - which one
« on: October 31, 2009, 11:48:54 PM »
I normally prefer IS applications to stand alone. Since there is no Avast IS, which firewalls work well? I have used Kerio 2.1.5 and LooknStop, but am not up on the current crop. How about free firewalls?
Thanks,

Regards,
Jerry

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast + Firewall - which one
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 01:07:15 AM »
Many forum users are using these:
- PC Tools Firewall seems to have the least user headaches as it doesn't seem to be constantly asking the user questions about this and that.
- Online Armor for the most parts fine but it has caused some users grief after avast program updates and that is something you have to watch out for.
- Comodo is now a suite and you have to do a custom install so as not to install the antivirus element (or use the add remove programs to remove the AV element if already installed), of all the firewalls listed this seems to be the noisiest in asking questions, depending on settings and elements used, so it could be daunting for those not to familiar with firewalls or their systems.
- Outpost Firewall 2009 free, a cut down version of the Outpost Firewall Pro version, which should still provide good protection, http://free.agnitum.com/. Download, http://www.filehippo.com/download_outpost_firewall/
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 01:40:43 AM »
just a restriction with PCtools firewall: I tried it and I was wondering why all my connections showed 127.0.0.1...anyway PCtools firewall is officially not compatible with USB (to router) connections, no big deal so far, and is not compatible with "mobile broadband"...which excludes wi-fi, so a no go for me and many others I suppose.

"Currently PC Tools Firewall Plus does not support Mobile Broadband or USB network connections, an ethernet connection will be required for your connection to be correctly detected."
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall.htm
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 01:42:52 AM by Logos »

JerryM

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 03:04:29 AM »
Thanks to you both for the advice.
I might stick with LnS as it seems to be a good "pure"firewall.

I have not noticed whether or not Avast 5 will include an IS version.

Logos, I am not sure if you meant that the PC Tools firewall would not work with WiFi. I would probably use a stand alone firewall on my laptop.

I found the answer that there will be a suite in the Avast 5 line-up. Great!

Thanks again, and have a good evening,
Jerry
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 03:08:11 AM by JerryM »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 12:56:52 PM »
I normally prefer IS applications to stand alone. Since there is no Avast IS, which firewalls work well? I have used Kerio 2.1.5 and LooknStop, but am not up on the current crop. How about free firewalls?
Thanks,

Regards,
Jerry

You can try ComodoFirewall(you have to do a custom install).

Have a nice day. :)

JerryM

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 03:40:24 PM »
Thanks,

Regards,
Jerry

You can try ComodoFirewall(you have to do a custom install).

Have a nice day. :)

Thanks, and I note that you are using it. I am not sure what or how to do a custom installation in order to use it as you suggest. I have gone back to F-Secure IS, but would like to know how to do a custom installation of Comodo for future use. Thanks.

Regards,
Jerry

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 04:10:20 PM »
I have gone back to F-Secure IS,
If you are using  F-Secure Internett Security, then you already have a firewall, and Antivirus.......... ???
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 08:10:33 PM by Pondus »

Osage

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 09:23:51 PM »
In my mind, I wonder if asking firewalls questions is within the scope of any anti virus forum.

And if we think in terms of an overall computer security system, we have to think in terms of separate functions aka layers, with an anti virus and a firewall being two totally different layers with totally different functions. And also realize that an AV and a firewall are only two layers in a security system that should be at least five layers deep.

Somewhat the point being, there is nothing new under the sun regarding the principles of computer security systems, what is largely different now is the increasing practice of one layer of a security system also assuming the roles of other layers. With two inherent dangers therein. (1) We have to worry about one layer now conflicting with another, because we can't have two active anti viruses or two active firewalls running at the same time on one computer. (2) And as a more personal opinion of mine, there is a huge danger of becoming too predictable or using the most popular security system. Because we know the malware writers will load their test bed computers with very popular security suites, and keep refining their wares until they get through. And only then will they release their creation into the wild.

But in terms of firewalls, there are lots of opinions and they are somewhat OS dependent. Some say the built in one way XP SP2 firewall is more than enough, others say a router alone is enough, and the better Vista and WIN7 firewalls are two way. Other advocate older lean two way firewalls like kerio and sygate. As for me, I use comodo, but its important to say that comodo  and the very similar ON line armor are not only firewalls, but have taken on the roles of adding HIPs and HOST  files while also assuming the roles of process control programs. But I balk at comodo trying to do anti virus also, their AV, from what I have read is not even close to as good as Avast and
other highly rated AV programs. And if one does not want the antivirus parts of comodo, its still possible to get the comodo firewall without the AV by using older versions.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 09:32:41 PM »
As for me, I use comodo,

Comodo Sells Out To HopSurf, Loses Sight Of Priorities http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=46737.0

JerryM

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 10:00:09 PM »
I have gone back to F-Secure IS,
If you are using  F-Secure Internett Security, then you already have a firewall, and Antivirus.......... ???

Yes. My question as to firewall was related to an AV + Firewall. I sometimes use Avast, and lately Avira Premium with LooknStop firewall.

Hi Osage,
I guess I did not notice a better place to ask the question when it was related to a firewall to use with Avast.

Regards,
Jerry

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 10:29:32 PM »
Comodo Sells Out To HopSurf, Loses Sight Of Priorities http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=46737.0

It seems that you are misinformed here. You don't have to install/use HopSurf with Comodo !

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 10:36:12 PM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 10:42:11 PM »
It seems that you are misinformed here. You don't have to install/use HopSurf with Comodo !
i was just forwarding the debate that has been about comodo, to me it doesn't matter since i don't use comodo......... 8)

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 11:06:51 PM »
I don't use a software firewall but I do believe in Layered Protection

anti virus application: avast!
anti malware application: Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware (MBAM)
Known malicious site blocking with a HOSTS file comprised of hpHosts and MVPS HOSTS files
System Monitor to watch over them: WinPatrol

See the video interview with Bruce Harrison who is a developer at Malwarebytes – the company who created Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware:
Malwarebytes Developer Interview
http://www.besttechie.net/2008/08/20/malwarebytes-developer-interview <== software firewall discussion starts at about 8 minutes into the video

Both videos are well worth watching.

cimmind

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 10:37:22 PM »
Hi all.

Nice discussion going on here, as we all await the Avast suite to be made available.
Adding my own user experience on the same. I myself am using Avast as AV, along with Comodo as firewall.

As earlier posters have rightly pointed out, there is no separate "Comodo Firewall" product available at their website. The only product available is "Comodo Internet Security Suite" (CIS). The reason for this was simple, whatever justification they may give on their site. They wanted their new Anti-virus product to ride in on the goodwill and popularity of their existing Firewall product, by offering it compulsarily as a Suite. However, based on user feedback (including my own), they have made one important advancement. While earlier the installer file was a huge 110MB+, now it has got reduced to a more manageble <40MB file. While they still bundle both the Firewall and the AV installer, the size reduction is by removing the virus database. Users who choose the AV product subsequently need to download the virus database.

There are few imp. things to be remembered while installing Comodo Firewall, after downloading the CIS installer file.   

- When you hover mouse over the CIS installer file, the computer may freeze for few seconds (known to happen on some systems, esp. XP SP2) as Avast takes some time to scan the file. This is a issure related not to CIS directly, but the wrapper used to compress the installer package.

- Be sure to TICK only Firewall when the screen presents the option to choose Firewall and/or Antivirus.

-Be sure to UNTICK the installation of 'Hopsurf toolbar' and whatever else is ticked by default on the Hopsurf installation screen

- In case you do not want many pop-ups, do not choose to install DEFENSE+ component. The 'Defense+' is the HIPS component of the firewall.     

Till now i have not faced any compatibility issues of using Avast and Comodo firewall together.   

- Comodo is now a suite and you have to do a custom install so as not to install the antivirus element (or use the add remove programs to remove the AV element if already installed), of all the firewalls listed this seems to be the noisiest in asking questions, depending on settings and elements used, so it could be daunting for those not to familiar with firewalls or their systems.

A correction is due. Almost all the 'noise' in Comodo Firewall is generated by the Defense+ component (that is the HIPS component). A user may choose not to install it at the beginning itself, or there is always the option of turning it off anytime after installation. Depends on how much security the user wants to have, or whether HIPS is desired or nor.