Author Topic: Avast + Firewall - which one  (Read 16982 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast + Firewall - which one
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 11:19:53 PM »
@ Cimmind
For the majority of average users they will go with the default install, as they will be totally in the dark, so until they get some knowledge and do that there will be the noise I mentioned. So I have anotaded (Defense+) after the "depending on settings and elements used (Defense+), "

Some say that CIS without the Defense + weakens the protection given.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 11:23:44 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pmjg

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
after recomendations here i have removed comodo firewall and installed pc tools firewall plus and my slowish laptop is a lot quicker on the internet,very happy here. :)

sded

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 12:37:50 AM »
Noticed today the Online Armor Premium has reduced their price to $19.95 for the rest of the year at least, so for those contemplating trying it or upgrading to it seems like a good deal.   Also working on the 64 bit version for early next year,  now that 4.0.0.10 had been released for W7x32.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 01:08:31 AM »
Outpost Firewall Pro had an offer $39.95 (I believe) for a lifetime license, don't know if it is still running though. I took advantage of that type of deal way back on outpost pro version 3.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SafeSurf

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 09:26:50 AM »
I've had good luck with the compatibility of Avast and OA Premium (no AV).  I used to use Outpost for many years, and OA is easier to use and under Advanced options gives the user a lot of info. (you also have the ability to turn on/off multiple options).  In addition, if you need to uninstall, OA does a nice clean uninstall consistently.  Just make sure with any AV and firewall that you add them to your trusted exclusions.  I just did several stealth and leak tests on my machine yesterday and passed 100%, so I'm happy. 

DPAvaster

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 08:34:56 PM »
Firewalls either work or they don't, and they don't really need updates etc.
It may be possible to get an old boxed version of a good "internet security suite" (eg. Bitdefender) fairly cheaply and just use it for the firewall, making sure to disable the anti-virus parts.  I'm doing just that right now!

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 06:52:31 AM »
That's not as true as most people believe, as things change. 1, Problems cant be found internally in the firewall that needs changing maybe BO issues or inefficient code. 2, Just the fact that the internet has changed and the firewall needs to to catch up, ie virus or POC issues being found and fixed. If you running a hardware firewall say in your router then of course that can't be changed so simply and it's more robust protection anyway but with a software firewall you should really upgrade.
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

SafeSurf

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 07:56:02 AM »
I agree.  Try doing some tests on yourself to see if you are stealth or pass leak tests.  Software is changing constantly to keep up to today's issues.

dukwhunter

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 09:17:16 AM »
Hi Guys,
             I am currently using

Windows Vista Home Premium
Avast 4.8 Free
MBAM Free
Online Armor Free

I am thinking about upgrading to Online Armor Premium , but have a question about it . I see that it comes with a web shield . Do i need to disable it or will it work with Avast ok ?

Thanks
                                                              JOEY

Hermite15

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2009, 10:37:07 AM »
Although they got the same name, they don't seem to do the same thing at all, so may be you can keep them both running; may be an issue with Avast Network Shield though...

Web Shield

Most threats today are spread through web pages on the internet. Attackers can create their own website that appears to be a legitimate website, hack into legitimate websites and add malicious code to be delivered to unsuspecting visitors, or by joining advertising networks and embedding malicious objects in advertisements that get displayed on legitimate websites. There are many different forms that web threats can take, and Online Armor is designed to be as comprehensive as possible without interfering with the website’s layout.

Rather than trying to identify every dangerous or fraudulent website on the internet, which can come and go very rapidly, Online Armor protects you against many of the dangerous tricks and web objects used to scam you or infect your computer.

Online Armor’s Web Shield will filter potentially dangerous web objects, malicious security tricks used by attackers/fraudsters, and Block malicious/fraudulent websites before your computer can load them. When a website tries to load a potentially malicious object, Online Armor will pop-up and ask you if you want to Allow or Block the object. The Web Shield can also be configured to filter all objects silently and replace the filtered items with a placeholder showing that the item was blocked.

The Web Shield additionally checks to make sure that when you visit a financial, or other important website that you are taken to the website you expect and not a fraudulent one.

Online Armor's Web Shield can also automatically and silently filter dangerous content from specified websites that that you do not trust to be safe but have content you want to view.

The Web Shield can be configured from “Web Sites” in the main menu of the Online Armor Control Panel.

Note: This feature is not available in Online Armor Free.

timcan

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 08:43:25 PM »
The Privatefirewall works well with avast!.
http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html

DPAvaster

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 09:30:30 PM »
I agree.  Try doing some tests on yourself to see if you are stealth or pass leak tests.  Software is changing constantly to keep up to today's issues.

No Worrries!  I'm well acquainted with the ShieldsUp site!   No leaks and super stealth!

I agree that if your firewall uses whitelists or blacklists then these would need to be updated. 
Otherwise it's just a matter of keeping your ports locked down and careful authorisation of those programs that want to use the internet.  I will only change my firewall if I change my operating system, or my PC.
Or when Avast 5 comes out....  :)   

SafeSurf

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 09:15:06 AM »
I've had no problems using Avast 4 and OA (trial or Premium -- no antivirus).  There have been no problems with the Web Shields as they act slightly differently.  OA has an automatic whitelist, so no need to update.  The blacklist can be downloaded but updated periodically; OA's software is simple to use and has a newbie or advanced mode as well as a banking mode.  Their forum is also as friendly as this one  :), and there are many Avast users on the OA site as well.  If you know your machine is completely malware-free, when you install OA, you tell it to "trust everything" on your machine so there will be no software conflicts...but you still need to add Avast as a trusted exclusion and vice versa.  If you're not sure you are malware-free, OA can check for you by not checking off "trust everything."   I also run MBAM and a few other malware (on demand tools), so make sure your machine is clean prior to "trusting everything" as well as keeping Avast up to date and scanning and you should be fine.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 07:58:28 AM by SafeSurf »

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2009, 03:03:43 PM »

No Worrries!  I'm well acquainted with the ShieldsUp site!   No leaks and super stealth!

I agree that if your firewall uses whitelists or blacklists then these would need to be updated. 
Otherwise it's just a matter of keeping your ports locked down and careful authorisation of those programs that want to use the internet.  I will only change my firewall if I change my operating system, or my PC.
Or when Avast 5 comes out....  :)   
Are you sure that you are testing your firewalls ports or your routers ports, as I have a router on my system and all shields up is doing is testing my router not my firewall
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Hermite15

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2009, 03:15:32 PM »
I agree.  Try doing some tests on yourself to see if you are stealth or pass leak tests.  Software is changing constantly to keep up to today's issues.

No Worrries!  I'm well acquainted with the ShieldsUp site!   No leaks and super stealth!

Otherwise it's just a matter of keeping your ports locked down and careful authorisation of those programs that want to use the internet.  I will only change my firewall if I change my operating system, or my PC.
Or when Avast 5 comes out....  :)   But running a firewall are not just about stealth ports, so keep a Windows bases FW too  ;)
Are you sure that you are testing your firewalls ports or your routers ports, as I have a router on my system and all shields up is doing is testing my router not my firewall

same here, testing a software firewall with ShieldsUp is bs, it only tests your router (the external IP). You can get rid of your software firewall, as long as you got good settings on your router's one, you'll get good results.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 03:17:46 PM by Logos »