Author Topic: Avast 4.8 Home Version (Invalid Serial Number)  (Read 11022 times)

Zacko7

Avast 4.8 Home Version (Invalid Serial Number)
« on: November 01, 2009, 10:50:52 PM »
I have just reinstalled Avast on my computer, after reformatting it.  I went to the website, and re-signed up for Avast, as I'm sure my previous code will not work anymore.  After receiving the serial, I finish my installation of Avast, and copy+paste it into the box requesting a serial code.  It comes up as invalid.  I then get another code sent to me from the Official Avast site, and it does not work again.  I was stumped, so I got on TeamViewer (a remote-support application) and tried installing it on my friends computer, as he was requesting a good antivirus from me.  The Avast site sends him a serial, and it does not work either.  He used my two codes, and they it outright rejected these codes as well.  So, I finally thought I'd post my problem on the Avast forum, and try to get some help.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast 4.8 Home Version (Invalid Serial Number)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 01:05:43 AM »
Hmmm... seems a problem on the server key generator... it happened in the past.
Maybe you can wait a little and see if they correct the problem by their side.
Anyway, go to the SSL page version and register from there: https://secure.avast.com/scripts/register.php?lang=ENG.
See the tutorial:  http://www.avast.com/files/tutorials/insert_key.htm
Please take a look here: http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-invalid-license-number.html
The best things in life are free.

Zacko7

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 01:01:50 AM »
Hmmm... seems a problem on the server key generator... it happened in the past.
Maybe you can wait a little and see if they correct the problem by their side.
Anyway, go to the SSL page version and register from there: https://secure.avast.com/scripts/register.php?lang=ENG.
See the tutorial:  http://www.avast.com/files/tutorials/insert_key.htm
Please take a look here: http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-invalid-license-number.html

Tried this link, and got a code from them.  Inputted the code into Avast, and it still says invalid.  Any ideas?
(I'm doing it correctly, don't need a tutorial, I've done it on numerous computers for me and my friends.)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 02:13:50 AM »
Sometimes, key generator could fail... try another email address and another key.
Also, check your system time and date.
The best things in life are free.

Zacko7

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 02:17:59 AM »
Sometimes, key generator could fail... try another email address and another key.
I've reinstalled it 3 times, used 6 different keys on 4 different machines.  2 of those were from another state, which I accessed, and tried to install from using Teamviewer.

MagicV

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 11:53:44 AM »
I've reinstalled it 3 times, used 6 different keys on 4 different machines.  2 of those were from another state, which I accessed, and tried to install from using Teamviewer.

Has anybody figured this out? I did a fresh (ie first time) install of Avast this morning and I am encountering the same "invalid License key". I'm using whatever the latest Avast! free Home version is (can't tell the exact version since I can't run it).

One thing I noticed is that there are no blue "bubble" icons in the tray (even after a couple of re-boots). I just started Avast from the "Start" menu and it does a flash screen, then asks for the license.

Another thing I notice is that "Control Panel > Windows Security Center" says that more than one Anti-Virus software is reporting that it is running. Previous to installing Avast!, I uninstalled PCTOOLS Antivirus (though I am still running Threatfire and PCTOOLS Firewall Plus). "Add Remove Programs" doesn't list any other anti-virus software as being installed. "Task Manager" doesn't show any programs or services running as anti-virus.

Any help would be appreciated. I would like to try Avast! as many people have espoused it's virtues...

EDIT
I do see ashMaiSv.exe and aswUpdSv.exe running in Task Manager. Are these Avast! programs?
How do I know if the On-Access scanner is running?...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 11:58:28 AM by MagicV »

zellist

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 02:22:02 PM »
Hello MagicV,

Has anybody figured this out? I did a fresh (ie first time) install of Avast this morning and I am encountering the same "invalid License key". I'm using whatever the latest Avast! free Home version is (can't tell the exact version since I can't run it).
Please try to submit another key request for Avast! free Home version and try again. You can read the FAQ here and follow the links for new license key.

One thing I noticed is that there are no blue "bubble" icons in the tray (even after a couple of re-boots). I just started Avast from the "Start" menu and it does a flash screen, then asks for the license.
For license issue, follow the above steps.
I can guide you through how to check if Avast is activated when u log in into windows.

- Start > Run (Windows + R)
- In the Open box type services.msc and then click on OK or press Enter
- Look for all Avast services (they are near the top), namely:
  • avast! Antivirus
  • avast! iAVS4 Control Service
  • avast! Mail Scanner
  • avast! Web Scanner

- Make sure that all of Avast services are already started; If not, follow these steps:
  • Right click on the service name > Properties
  • Under General tab, Startup type change to Automatic and click on Apply (if already automatic or manual go next step)
  • Below it on the Service Status, start the service.

- Also, please ensure that Avast is already in your startup list by doing this:
  • Start > Run (Windows + R)
  • In the Open box type msconfig and then click on OK or press Enter
  • Under Startup tab, you must see this and make sure its checked:
    • Startup Item: ashDisp
    • Command: C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
  • If you do not see this, go to Start > Run, in the Open box type regedit and then click on OK or press Enter
  • Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, you should see the value: avast! and the location

- If you can't see it means Avast installation has not succeed, please do a full uninstallation and reinstall.

Another thing I notice is that "Control Panel > Windows Security Center" says that more than one Anti-Virus software is reporting that it is running. Previous to installing Avast!, I uninstalled PCTOOLS Antivirus (though I am still running Threatfire and PCTOOLS Firewall Plus). "Add Remove Programs" doesn't list any other anti-virus software as being installed. "Task Manager" doesn't show any programs or services running as anti-virus.

I believe that PCTOOLS Firewall Plus and Threatfire caused a conflict with Avast, therefore unable to recognize in Windows Security Center.
Alternatively, you can visit Microsoft website for this issue here.

Another topic relates to this issue here.

Have a nice day~

zell
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 04:21:46 PM by zellist »