Author Topic: Windows Live Mail connections limit exceeded error  (Read 5678 times)

FrostPaw

Windows Live Mail connections limit exceeded error
« on: November 03, 2009, 01:23:31 AM »
Hi,

Have installed Avast today since I allowed my Norton Subscription to expire. I have read on google and on these forums about a similar issue which is highlighted in the sticky on this forum about adding the command "Max Connections=50" instead of 20 in the Avast4.ini . I did try to edit this file but could not find such a command line anywhere within Avast4.ini version 4.8 Home.

I then tried adding the command line in manualy at the bottom of the bracketed heading for Mailscanning but that did not help.

The error I'm recieving is below, it seems to be directly related to the one check box in Avast mail scanning provider "Scan incomming POP3 mail" as I can recieve hotmail fine with it on I cannot recieve blueyonder.co.uk mail unless I disable incomming scanning. Outgoing scanning has no impact.

Unable to send or receive messages for the XXXXXX account. The e-mail server returned an error.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR concurrent connections limit in avast exceeded(pass:20, processes:CCSVCHST.EXE[19], wlmail.exe[1]), there is a collision with another program
Server: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC90
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

From what I can tell reading the error it seems to be telling me the old Norton client CCSVCHST.EXE is sucking up 19 of the 20 connections Avast allows which suggests a conflict with my old norton client which I am still reluctant to remove given I don't have a free firewall and it still has one as part of the instalation. So I did a simple test, I disabled all Norton protection and re enabled incomming email scanning on avast however the error still happens. So while norton is also scanning the same email (while its still installed but no longer updating to current definitions) it dosn't seem to be the only cause of this error.

So what I really need is a way to increase the connections through Avast from 20 to 50 as already suggested but I need a way to do it in Avast 4.8Home which dosn't appear to use the old method of adding the command line edit to the Avast4.ini file mentioned already on these forums.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated thanks.

YoKenny

Re: Windows Live Mail connections limit exceeded error
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 01:53:57 AM »
Did you remove Norton as its about as hard to remove as any virus:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/Norton-Removal-Tool.shtml

You may have to repair avast! as Norton likes to mess up any other anti virus.

You can't use Secure(SSL) connections with the current version of avast! as it needs SSL tunnel to process secure email transactions.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 01:57:26 AM by YoKenny »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows Live Mail connections limit exceeded error
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 02:05:45 AM »
Increasing the limit is unlikely to resolve the problem, processes:CCSVCHST.EXE[19], would likely just gobble up more than the 19 it is now.

The simple answer you have to remove Norton or avast take your pick, having two resident scanners installed is not recommended as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable.

Norton can be a real pig to get rid of an subsequently conflicts with newly installed security software, so you should also run the tool suggested by YoKenny.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security