Author Topic: Windows 7 Issues  (Read 19645 times)

mattdel

Re: Windows 7 Issues
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 03:45:02 AM »
thank you.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 08:32:19 PM »
Hi I see you have a 64bit system - so lets have a look see.  Could you let me know the exact problems you are experiencing 

To ensure that I get all the information this log will need to be uploaded to Mediafire and post the sharing link.

Download OTS  to your Desktop
  • Close ALL OTHER PROGRAMS.
  • Double-click on OTS.exe to start the program.
  • Check the box that says Scan All Users
  • Check the box that says 64 bit
  • Under Additional Scans check the following:
    • Reg - Shell Spawning
    • File - Lop Check
    • File - Purity Scan
    • Evnt - EvtViewer (last 10)
    • Now click the Run Scan button on the toolbar.
    • Let it run unhindered until it finishes.
    • When the scan is complete Notepad will open with the report file loaded in it.
    • Click the Format menu and make sure that Wordwrap is not checked. If it is then click on it to uncheck it.

mattdel

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 10:35:46 PM »
    Ok. Simple enough. Basically, the problem I am having, is that after I uninstalled the pre-loaded trial version of Trend Micro, I cannot access the internet after installing ANY other AV program. I've tried Avast Pro 4.8, AVG Free, Avira Free, and Windows Security Essentials. After the required system reboot from the installer, I no longer have an internet connection, although my NIC card shows connectivity, and my gateway is pingable. No addresses will resolve, nothing will connect, be it web addresses, IM protocols, gaming protocols, nothing.

I've done extensive research and testing on the matter, even went so far as to call Geek Squad. No one has an answer for me. I've tried Winsock2Fix, disable Windows Firewall, disable Avast firewall, turned off UAC, ran installer with admin priveledges, ran Trend Micro uninstaller from their website, etc etc.

First scan is WITHOUT Avast installed, meaning I had an active internet connection available.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/tnmqyydmq3q/OTS1.Txt

Second scan is WITH Avast installed, after mandatory reboot, and no internet connection to be had.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/iyzzzztiyzu/OTS2.Txt
    « Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 10:41:12 PM by mattdel »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
    • Probably Bot
    • Dragons by Sasha
      • Malware fixes
    « Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 10:49:24 PM »
    I can see no apparent malware there so lets see if windows can detect the error

When you try to connect what error do you get ?

Go to control panel and select Network and Internet > View network status and tasks
    You should then see this graphic
    Do you have a red cross anywhere within the line between you and the net ?

If so near the bottom of the page is Troubleshoot problems
    Click that and let me know what the report is

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
    • Ultra Poster
    • I'm a GNU
      • Don't Surf in the Nude!
    « Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 11:20:02 PM »
    Could it be a 32bit/64bit thing?

Check this out:

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-vista-network/1095195.htm
         Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
    • Probably Bot
    • Dragons by Sasha
      • Malware fixes
    « Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 11:27:26 PM »
    Hi I have just been chatting with some techs and the probable cause may well be the trend micro firewall not releasing and staying on your system

Follow the instructions on this page to totally remove it - then reboot and try again

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/4/How-do-I-remove-Trend-Micro-Internet-Security-Pro-and-Trend-Micro-Inte.aspx

mattdel

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 11:28:36 PM »
    Pretty sure we've found the problem. But myself being Windows 7 inept, I am unable to fix it. I want my old XP control panel back  >:(  >:(  >:(

Here's a picture of my connection as active, without Avast installed.

Now here are the pictures of inactive connection, after Avast install & reboot.

mattdel

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 11:30:02 PM »
    Hi I have just been chatting with some techs and the probable cause may well be the trend micro firewall not releasing and staying on your system

Follow the instructions on this page to totally remove it - then reboot and try again

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/4/How-do-I-remove-Trend-Micro-Internet-Security-Pro-and-Trend-Micro-Inte.aspx

I've used that. Didn't help.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
    • Probably Bot
    • Dragons by Sasha
      • Malware fixes
    « Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 11:35:59 PM »
    OK could you download this small diagnostic programme to your desktop http://artellos.com/sino/SINO_Beta.exe
    Right click and select run as administrator
    Then select the boxes as shown this will check out your net connection

If you could upload the log to Mediafire againas it may be bigger that the forum allows - or you can post it in parts

Have you disabled web shield to see if access is then allowed ?

mattdel

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 11:46:07 PM »
    Ok. All this installing/uninstalling is starting to be annoying. I appreciate the help immensely. ;D ;D lets hope we can get to the bottom of this.

I don't think it's anything directly related to Webshield or any Avast module, not only because it happens with any antivirus I install, but as you can see from the images above, the install is modifying my local area connection settings and adding networks to it, and apparently setting as default.

Scan during active internet/no Avast install.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/wukmguttmmu/connected.txt

Scan during no internet/Avast IS installed.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/knmlnmeqz2z/notconnected.txt

« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 11:54:08 PM by mattdel »

mattdel

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 12:33:41 AM »
    OK! So here's a bit of news. I've managed to fix it so I can get online after a reboot.

Disabling and re-enabling my NIC card causes the "unidentified public network"(seen above) to disappear from the Network Screen, and I am able to connect.

Problem is, it reappears after another reboot.
    « Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 12:37:00 AM by mattdel »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
    • Ultra Poster
    • I'm a GNU
      • Don't Surf in the Nude!
    « Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 07:05:58 AM »
    Could it be a 32bit/64bit thing?

Check this out:

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-vista-network/1095195.htm

Did you try the advice there?

Type the following commands without the quotes:

"Ipconfig /flushdns" and press Enter.

"Netsh int ip reset" and press Enter

Vista will then want to be rebooted. Go ahead and reboot.

When it starts back up, again open command prompt as administrator.

Type the following commands without the quotes:

"Netsh winsock reset"

Vista will then want to be rebooted. Go ahead and reboot.
         Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

mattdel

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 08:29:34 AM »
    Was able to fix it on my own, after a bit more research into the "unidentified network" connection.
    http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-networking/7408-fix-unidentified-network-no-internet-access.html
    I decided to just post this as a new thread, as it appears to be getting positive results for most people. I highly recommend it anyway, as you will eventually encounter this if you apply all of your updates...

For those of you reporting problems with your network after updating MS Office or installing Adobe CS3 -

If you are having Internet connection problems related to "Unidentified Network" showing and the "!" over your NIC icon, then this should take care of it:

Check to see if you have this little devil in your services list:

"##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B87 9762 ##"

If you do, stop it and disable it. It is actually the Bonjour DNS Responder Service, and I believe it is the cause of the "Unidentified Network."

The Unidentified Network disappeared after stopping this service and a quick disable/enable of the NIC, restoring Internet access.

I Actually just rebooted, edited this post, and then re-enabled the offensive service to see what would happen...Immediately after enabling the NIC and this bastard service, the "Unidentified Network" returned...stopped it, disabled it, disable/enable NIC...Internet back up and running and no "Unidentified Network." (woot - woot!)

YAY YAY YAY!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
    • Probably Bot
    • Dragons by Sasha
      • Malware fixes
    « Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 09:10:41 PM »
    Thank you for that info - greatly appreciated.  The Techs I was discussing this with were a bit befuddled by it.  I will pass this on  cheers

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
    • Certainly Bot
    • No support PMs thanks
    « Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 09:26:11 PM »
    Yes, just another reason to get rid of Bonjour other than the others:

-- How To Uninstall or Remove Bonjour mDNSResponder.exe - This is considered a non-essential, not critical component as related to ITunes. - See http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/mdnsresponder.
    How To Uninstall or Remove Bonjour mDNSResponder.exe
    Also see www.serophos.net/au-revoir-bonjour for a tool to automate this process so you don't have to manually remove as in the above link.
    Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security