Author Topic: Blocking outgoing email viruses  (Read 5908 times)

TimN

Blocking outgoing email viruses
« on: June 18, 2003, 12:32:16 AM »
When I try to send the Eicar test virus zip out via Outlook Express, Avast immediately informs me of the virus.  ;D
It then gives me the usual options. If I click OK then the mail is sent as you would expect.  If I click on either delete or move to chest I get the message "avast! this function is not supported on this system" and just an OK button. If I click on OK I get the same options again i.e. move delete etc. This time if I click on any of them I get the message "avast! there are no more files" (don't understand this message) and an OK button. If I click on this I again get the delete/move etc options. The email is still waiting in my outbox at this point. However as I have previously tried to delete/move the file, if I now click on OK this time the email is not sent and I get a "suspisious message " warning and only then do I finally get the option not to send the infected email.
A bit complicated. Is this because I'm using Outlook Express or is it how it should work.  Of course with all the protection avast! gives me it is VERY unlikely that a virus would be on my system for me to email out. ;) Can never be too carful though.

techie101

Re:Blocking outgoing email viruses
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 05:29:29 PM »
Tim,

I have not seen this behavior on my OE with AVAST.
I will run some tests on my own system to see if the indications you describe can be duplicated.
At this point, I can only guess that Avast is detecting the "test virus" as it should, however, because you are sending it as an "attachment", you may need to run Avast in the normal scanning mode before the "functions" are actively working.
THIS behavior of Avast I HAVE seen on my own system.

Try a full scan and see if Avast picks it up in whatever folder you have it stored, then try to move it to the chest.  
If you are succesful, then I would say that things are fine.

The main thing it that AVAST is on the job doing with it is supposed to do.....PROTECT YOUR COMPUTER.

I will get back to you as soon as I can run the tests.

Maybe a Moderator can help with some thoughts.

:o

TimN

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 08:27:35 PM »
I look forward to your results :)

techie101

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 11:50:27 PM »
Tim,

Me too!
 ;D

Melhior

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 09:50:10 PM »
A little bit offtopic, but about e-mail =)

Does avast 4 pro work with The Bat! ? and how, if it does??? =)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 11:13:49 PM »
Melhior, about avast! playing together please see this thread: http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=119;start=0

And please, next time make a new post instead of adding off-topic questions to existing ones. It's much easier to navigate for other users...

Thanks!
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

TimN

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2003, 07:52:46 PM »
Excellent ;D ;D ;D
The new upgrade to Avast! out today has fixed the problem
Nice work guys