Author Topic: VRDB...  (Read 10895 times)

c0Ld

VRDB...
« on: June 10, 2004, 03:32:58 AM »
How much disk space does it take? I installed avast on my C drive, which is basically full. If it takes alot of disk space, is there any way to make it have the backups on the second harddrive (which has 60 gigs of empty space)?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:VRDB...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 03:34:32 AM »
Size of the database depends on the number of files on your Hard drive(s)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

c0Ld

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 03:36:28 AM »
Errr....alot.
Any away to make it save the DB to a second harddrive....if not, any way to suggest it to the makers of avast? ;)

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 03:38:20 AM »
Not a way to redirect the place it saves the database yet (at least none that I am aware of)  It Is very easy to suggest the support of a new feature to ALWIL just post it here and Ill draw a programmers attention to this thread
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 03:38:33 AM by MacLover2000 »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Humble

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 03:42:43 AM »
So.. VRDB keeps the actual files of everything? (or just "info" on, so it's a smaller percentage of what it's suppose to represent).

"Disable VRDB generation. avast! will neither create, nor update the database. If you select this option, it will not be possible to repair virus infected files in the future!"
It still means avast! can still clean files right? (with viruses that are cleanable)

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 03:46:26 AM »
VRDB keeps a little info on each file.  
It still means avast! can still clean files right? (with viruses that are cleanable)
You must have a VRDB with information on the file when it was clean in order to repair/clean/disnfect it

Humble

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 03:49:05 AM »
VRDB keeps a little info on each file.  
You must have a VRDB with information on the file when it was clean in order to repair/clean/disnfect it
Hmm... strange.. no generic cleaning.
Do you know of any percentages of space taken per file (per size too?).

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 03:51:42 AM »
Well I dont know percentages but I have 25 GB of files and I do not notice any real drop of space when i select properties on my C drive

c0Ld

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 03:55:35 AM »
Yeah, I'm wanting to be able to just choose what directory the backed up information is stored in, I don't want to reinstall just to be able to save it on my 2nd harddrive :/

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 03:57:51 AM »
ok Ill notify Igor of your feature request

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2004, 06:02:05 AM »
Yeah, I'm wanting to be able to just choose what directory the backed up information is stored in, I don't want to reinstall just to be able to save it on my 2nd harddrive :/

Don't worry, VRDB is not that great. Maybe you'll have a file with 15-30Mb.
See C:\...\Avast4\Data\integ.int file  :)
The best things in life are free.

softwareguy

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2004, 06:24:56 AM »
Heh... mine is 10MB  ::)
Generic cleaning of worms/viruses would be great since VRDB is not needed. :)
VRDB is too slow.  :-\

Kobra

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2004, 06:42:22 AM »
Remember, Generic cleaning will only get you so far.  Obviously, its after you've been HIT with the baddy, and need to recover.  But most AV products i've played with, do more harm than good when cleaning up the messes.  Ironically, the best one for cleaning i've played with, in my personal experiance, was Panda - which uses generic cleaning.

Products like NOD32 are notorious for not being able to clean things, and other products simply destroy things trying to clean, and cause so much harm.  VRDB is a good idea I think, because it basically guarantees you can get a good clean out of something.  My experiance with VRDB is that its a very small file in relative to what its protecting.  However, the bad side, is its excruiatingly slow!

How about generic cleaning options with VRDB option?  For those that want the VRDB, they can use that.  For those that would prefer generic cleaning, they can have that?

Avast intrigues me, it has shown me incredible detection on known viruses, masked in every way I know how to mask them, but at the same time, it doesn't have advanced heuristics.  It has a great VRDB system for cleanup, but at the same time, lacks the most basic of generic cleanup!  So close to being what i'd consider the perfect product, so close...  Maybe 4.5 will bring us heuristics throughout, and generic cleaning!  Lets cross our fingers...

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2004, 07:51:30 AM »
Yeah i'm waiting for these three things in 4.5:
-Low-level mail scanning (No mail wizard)
-Heuristics for Standard Shield
-Generic repair capability (along VRDB which is great and provides 100% recovery for any infection)

But again,its hard to fix something if you don't have a clue what it is. And thats the problem of generic cleaning. It can remove infection or it will remove infection and legit code,so the file will become useless. This doesn't happen with VRDB.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

softwareguy

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2004, 07:55:46 AM »
Hmm. Maybe Avast 4.5 could check to see if a VRDB database exists before going on to generic repairing(s).