Author Topic: Never seen this before....  (Read 3361 times)

thor4life

Never seen this before....
« on: November 05, 2009, 09:55:37 AM »
So I'm on the net, minding my own business when all of a sudden:

I get this (pic taken a bit after.) Comp locked down, and gave me the blue screen of death. I booted it in safe mode, ran avast, and it found nothing. I then did a system restore (which I could only go back about a week, which I found odd.) After the system restore, everything worked fine for about 4-5 hours, then bam. It was back. About 10 seconds later, the screen started flashing green and black pretty rapidly. I could see something about "your comp has gone into the infinity loop." I then killed it and rebooted in safe mode, and re-running avast.

So my question is, what the hell is going on? Never had anything like this before.

Thanks in advanced

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Never seen this before....
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 10:44:33 AM »
I'd say: hardware prob, most probably the graphics card or a temperature problem (does this happen, when the PC has been started and still is cool or does it happen only after a certain time powered on and used?)
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

thor4life

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 07:32:04 PM »
Not an overheating issue. Left it off all night, booted it and instantly gave me the lines.

What's the possibility of something that has gotten in the registry? Or is there a way to definitively say that the video card is toast?

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 07:38:36 PM »
don't look further, it's your graphics card that's toasted (onboard memory more likely than GPU). It will come back to normal off and on but as soon as it will go beyond what use to be a supported temperature (but is not anymore), it will produce those artifacts.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 07:41:54 PM by Logos »

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 08:39:19 PM »
I agree to Logos. That's it by 95%.
There is a low possibility that your PCI-E Slot is the troublemaker, but that's not too likely.

It is not an onboard-graphics-adapter, right? So the easiest way to check would be to take your graphics card and stuff it into some other pc and test it.
Free MBAM Clear

Jtaylor83

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 08:57:48 PM »
The motherboard may appear to be all messed up. Reassemble and rebuild the entire PC, format, and reinstall Windows, take it to a computer repair shop to have them rebuild it for you, buy a new PC and use the main hard drive as a slave.

Here's are some DIY if you can't afford to take it to a repair shop:

Assemble a Computer

How to Rebuild a Personal Computer
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 09:05:27 PM by Jtaylor83 »

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 09:08:13 PM »
 :o

Disassemble and reassamble? Format?

Why that? It is the graphics card, that's causing trouble.

Don't rebuild, don't format, don't take it to some money-stealin' repair shop. Buy a graphics card, install the appropriate driver - that's it.
Free MBAM Clear

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 09:32:46 PM »
yeah the graphics card is dead, period. No need to get ripped off by a jerk downtown  ;D