Author Topic: Problem with IMAP mail (unable to create folders when using avast)  (Read 5743 times)

Utwig

Here is the neccessary information to reproduce the problem:

Computer: Dual Athlons @2.26, Tyan TigerMPX, 512MB RAM, Matrox Parhelia, Adaptec 2904 PCI, Hercules Digifire 7.1, Teac CDR56S, Teac CDROM 540E, Toshiba SD M16-12DVD

OS: XP Professional, SP1, all crytical and recommended patches and updates except MS Messenger.

Mail Client: Mozilla Firefox 0.6
Antivirus Avast 4.0 home edition (free licence on registration type) (no program updates available, all virus definition updates)

Mail configuration:
one pop3 account
one imap account (all was fine untill I added imap account)

What the problem was:
At first I had only pop3 account and all was working fine:
Avast detected Firefox and autoconfigured mail protection.
(I'm using generic usernames, privacy...)

Pop3 server: 127.0.0.1:110
username in Firefox user#pop.domain1.net

SMTP server: 127.0.0.1:25
username in Firefox user#mail.domain2.net

The reason for different domains is because the account is not from my broadband ISP (it's from my dialup ISP).

Now I set up account with another mail provider, this account is IMAP.

I ran the mail autoconfig wizard and it detected the new account:

Server in Firefox: 127.0.0.1:143
Username: user#imap.domain3.si

The account was able to transfer and recive messages, but it had problems saving message in sent folder and the operation times out, when any kind of folder creation or manipulation is involved.

I have no problems, if I disable mail protection and choose to connect directly to server.

What could the problem be? Could it be that avast thinks the 2nd account is pop3 as well?

I'm pasting a snip from the text from avast4.ini (real server names modified)

[MailScanner]
DefaultPopServer=pop.domain1.net
DefaultSmtpServer=mail.domain2.net
ShowTrayIcon=1
UseDefaultSmtp=0
AutoSetProtection=0
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 05:50:18 AM by Utwig »

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Problem with IMAP mail (unable to create folders when using avast)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 04:03:00 PM »
I suppose that you are using Thunderbird, because Firefox is a web browser. I have tested it, but without any problems. Could I create account on that mail server ?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 05:42:54 PM »
Mail Client: Mozilla Firefox 0.6
Antivirus Avast 4.0 home edition (free licence on registration type) (no program updates available, all virus definition updates)

1. Get the latest update of avast! it is now at 4.1.369

2. As vojtech said probably Thunderbird and as a 0.6 version this is still very much in developement and doing a search in google (thunderbird unable to create folder) returned a large number of hit (not all relevant), but it give an idea that there have been problems with the 0.6 version. Have you got the latest release of thunderbird?

3. Check the Thunderbird website for a forum, it may have something relating to that.
4. Avast should not have any effect on the functionality of your email program other than act as a filter of email.

5. have you rebooted since this problem occured, somethmes that has resolved a glitch.

HTH David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Utwig

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 03:48:25 AM »
I have let Thunderbird (yes, sorry for the mix up) connect directly without Avast AV proxy to internet and it created folders.

After that I set it up to go through 127.0.0.1:143 using name#server.si

I have also updated Avast to lattest version.

The moving/creating/deleting of files in folders now works. Also creating folders now works.

Perhaps the glitch was that mapi server expects folders to be subfolders of inbox and not directly of account.

If you'd like to test creating account, the name of service is www.email.si

They offer 10MB of mailspace free with pop3, imap, smtp and web access.

The site is in Slovenian, although the pages to manipulate mail are available in English. But I guess, since you're Czechs, you should be able to figure it out. If not I can translate the signup page. Just click on "Registracija" (Registration) from front page, it should be obvious from there.

The cube icon with "Nastavitve" in inbox should take you to settings, where you can choose language "Jezik".
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 03:54:16 AM by Utwig »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 10:12:12 AM »
I have let Thunderbird (yes, sorry for the mix up) connect directly without Avast AV proxy to internet and it created folders.

After that I set it up to go through 127.0.0.1:143 using name#server.si

I have also updated Avast to lattest version.

The moving/creating/deleting of files in folders now works. Also creating folders now works.

The site is in Slovenian, although the pages to manipulate mail are available in English.

But I guess, since you're Czechs, you should be able to figure it out. If not I can translate the signup page.

Hi Utwig,

Welcome to the forums, I'm glad you have now resolved the problem.

There are many people on the forums from all over the world linked by a common bond, avast!

I live in England and am a regular avast user (like yourself), who was helped when I first arrived on the scene and now I am returning the favour.

David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security