Author Topic: Email subject change to [avast! - SUSPICIOUS] in business environment?  (Read 2523 times)

Moss

Hi, we are having a problem with Avast 4.8 and ADNM. Some emails that are sent have the subject changed to [avast! - SUSPICIOUS] and this can look very bad to our clients and also cause havoc with our call management system which relies on the message subject to function.

How can we stop this from happening?

I have found some old posts on this issue but none have ever been replied to.

Thanks
J Moss

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Email subject change to [avast! - SUSPICIOUS] in business environment?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 06:11:20 PM »
normally avast won't put that message in the email unless a) there's something bad in the email, which shouldn't be sent to anyone, or b) you sent the message with no subject.

Usually, you should always put something in the subject line.

If you want to, you could go into your avast resident settings under the outlook/exchange provider, and uncheck "Scan outbound messages".  I don't suggest it though.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Email subject change to [avast! - SUSPICIOUS] in business environment?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 06:48:44 PM »
A blank subject is one of the things that could trigger this suspicious addition to the subject. However, it would be best to try and find out what it is that avast finds suspicious. Check the warning.log file or the avast log viewer, Warning section) to see if there is any more detailed information.

Then you should be able to adjust the Heuristics/Heuristics Advanced tab of whichever avast provider it is being used.

You didn't say which email client you use as that would give an indication of which provider to check, scythe944 is assuming MS Outlook, but if you aren't using that then it is likely to be the Internet Mail providers Heuristics/Heuristics Advanced settings. These settings are also changed depending on the general sensitivity you have chosen for that provider (Normal is the default).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security