Author Topic: Desktop freezes after Update  (Read 2572 times)

xchrischx

Desktop freezes after Update
« on: November 06, 2009, 10:20:13 AM »
Hello everybody,

I have a problem with the update of Avast.  The update runs well but a few seconds after I get the message that the new updates are installed my desktop freezes. At first, I can still move and change the different open windows but I can not perform any action. Another few seconds later, the desktop freezes completely and there is no other way than hard reset. When the system is up again, anything is running well.
Any ideas about that?

bobo1

Re: Desktop freezes after Update
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 10:42:58 AM »
Hi
It also pauses desktop on my computer for a few seconds when updating/ lot of hard drive activity but should not cause a lot of problem what you are having. How much ram have you got in your computer & how full is your boot drive usaually drive C: IS your hard drive set to DMA MODE which is faster and not PIO MODE?

xchrischx

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 01:12:56 PM »
Hi Bobo1,

my hard drive is set to DMA mode an I have 1 GB of RAM. A few seconds would be OK, but it takes over 5 minutes.
Is there any process that starts directly after the update? Maybe it is blocked and that causes the trouble?

bobo1

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 02:19:59 PM »
Hi
Something not right with your computer, Try repair of avast through add/remove programs. If this does not cure this try Avast removal tool (ASWCLEAR) and reboot and re install avast full program from avast web site. You will need your Key to be inserted afterwards. Also have you checked your computer for malware by using MBAM antispyware free & spybot search & Destroy?./ ADAWARE BY LAVASOFT. Also did you have any other antivirus program on your pc before Avast?

xchrischx

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 04:59:11 PM »
Hi!

Reinstalling might be a possibility. There has been no other AV Software installed yet.
If nobody else ever had this problem it must have to do something with my PC. I will check this.

xchrischx

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 05:06:31 PM »
Reinstalled Avast. Still the same problem. Desktop freezes after I get the report that all Updates are installed.