Author Topic: Please help  (Read 5368 times)

prankster

Please help
« on: November 04, 2009, 03:27:37 PM »
Hi

I ran a scan last night and found a trojan which was named flist.js something, I deleted it immediately as when I tried to move it it wouldn't allow me too. However I have noticed tonight and today sometimes when I go to some websites it takes me to another website. An example of this would be when I googled the trojan and then clicked on a link to the forums here and it then took me to a youtube channel... and another link made a virus alert pop up....

can someone help?

Also when I went to my chest I found some viruses in there that I had moved some time ago and forgot about. I asked on here before what I should do and I was advised to keep them there for a while and if there was no adverse effects then to delete them. I haven't really been keeping an eye out for any adverse effects but they still scan as viruses. They are-

A0062090.EXE
svchost.exe
trzAA.tmp

The first is located in the c drive under system volume information/ restore and the other two are in the c drive on win32 system drivers. Is it ok to delete these?

thanks

*update*

After I posted this I ran another scan and found that flist.js back again, I have now moved it to the chest as well...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 04:13:38 PM by prankster »

prankster

Re: Please help
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 11:00:15 PM »
anyone? I really need help. I keep being redirected to sites and the virus alert popping up. For instance I came on here and I had another tab open up for stopzilla or something...

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 11:17:54 PM »
Have you tried Avast boot scan
http://www.digitalred.com/avast-boot-time.php

And MBAM
http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
do a quick scan and click "remove selected" if anything is found, this will sendt it to quarantine. Restart and repeat

come back and post scan log here

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 11:39:10 PM »
Hi prankster and welcome to the forums,

If avast! detects anything, it would be better to move it to virus chest first before deleting it.

Step 1: Windows Disk Cleanup Utility ============

1   Press Windows Key + R
2   Type in: cleanmgr
3   Put a check beside: Temporary Internet Files and Temporary Files. Optionally, you may check other options too
4   Click OK

Step 2: avast! Boot Time Scan ============

1   Double click avast! antivirus desktop icon and wait for memory test to complete
2   avast GUI will appear. Right click anywhere on avast!'s window and select Schedule Boot Time Scan...
3   Click Advanced options and select Move infected file to Chest on the first dropdown list and leave the other one as it was. Click Schedule
4   You will be asked for a system restart. Click Yes to do it now or No to let avast wait for you to manually restart your PC
        NOTE: Optionally, you may enable scanning of archive files. If it is enabled, scanning would be more thorough but would take more time

Step 3: Malwarebytes Antimalware (MBAM) ============

1   Download Malwarebyes' Antimalware here
2   Proceed to installing MBAM after downloading
3   On the last dialog box, do not forget to leave Update Malwarebytes' Antimalware and Run Malwarebytes' Antimalware checked
4   Malwabytes' Antimalware GUI would appear, from there select Perform Quick Scan and click Scan
5   When scan is completed, click Show Results
6   Click Remove Selected and then, a notepad file will appear.
7   On the notepad window, click File > Save As and save it on your desktop. You may now close MBAM.

Step 4: Hijack This (HJT) ============

1   Download Trend Micro Hijack This here
2   Install HJT in C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis (the location is already displayed by default). Click Install
3   HJT Window will appear. Click Do a system scan and save a logfile. A notepad file will pop-up once the scan is completed
5   Click on the Notepad window and click File > Save As and save the file on your desktop
6   Go back here on your topic and start a reply. On the Reply window, click Additional Options
7   Attach the two .txt files that we created and saved on your desktop (click more attachments to have more slots for attaching files)
        NOTE: Do not have HJT fix anything yet.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

prankster

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 11:12:33 AM »
Thanks guys for your suggestions, infortunately it was too late and I had to wipe my pc. My problem is now and I hope you guys can shed some light on it is I had to re-download everything including Avast. Can I somehow get my old registration key now or do I wait the 60 days or so till the trial expires then get a new one?

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 11:28:05 AM »
Home Version? Or Pro?
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

prankster

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 01:06:37 AM »
Home version. Also, I just ran a scan, thorough one and it stopped at 89 percent, wouldn't budge so I stopped it and the results came up that every file it scanned it was unable to do so becus it was password protected...why is this? My avast before my comp recovery never did this. I also can't undertsand why it showed scanning things that are not in my d drive any more after I recovered my comp two days ago...

Can anyone shed any light on this?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 01:13:24 AM by prankster »

prankster

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 11:24:37 AM »
anyone?

spg SCOTT

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 11:51:51 AM »
...My problem is now and I hope you guys can shed some light on it is I had to re-download everything including Avast. Can I somehow get my old registration key now or do I wait the 60 days or so till the trial expires then get a new one?

So, judging by your later post, you managed to get avast! installed. You can use the old registration key, if you still have it.

Home version. Also, I just ran a scan, thorough one and it stopped at 89 percent, wouldn't budge so I stopped it and the results came up that every file it scanned it was unable to do so becus it was password protected...why is this? My avast before my comp recovery never did this. I also can't undertsand why it showed scanning things that are not in my d drive any more after I recovered my comp two days ago...

I am not too sure what the scan stopping means, but does it repeatedly happen, around the same file?

For the password protected files are like a locked door. If you don't have the key, you can't open it, and avast! doesn't have the password so can't scan it.
Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

If you can give some examples of those file names, the locations and reason given why it can't be scanned might help us further ?

The unable to scan list is only available during that Simple User Interface (SUI) on-demand scan session, once you clocs that window and the SUI, it is discarded in the Home version.

-Scott-

prankster

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 12:19:41 PM »
...My problem is now and I hope you guys can shed some light on it is I had to re-download everything including Avast. Can I somehow get my old registration key now or do I wait the 60 days or so till the trial expires then get a new one?

So, judging by your later post, you managed to get avast! installed. You can use the old registration key, if you still have it.

I am not too sure what the scan stopping means, but does it repeatedly happen, around the same file?

For the password protected files are like a locked door. If you don't have the key, you can't open it, and avast! doesn't have the password so can't scan it.
Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

If you can give some examples of those file names, the locations and reason given why it can't be scanned might help us further ?

The unable to scan list is only available during that Simple User Interface (SUI) on-demand scan session, once you clocs that window and the SUI, it is discarded in the Home version.

-Scott-

I don't have the old registration key :( so I take it get a new one after the trial again ?

As for the scan, I'll try it again later, has this happened anyone else, the stopping I mean?

Also, how come avast now can't scan those files that are password protected, yet before my comp was recovered, it could??

spg SCOTT

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 12:27:29 PM »
I don't have the old registration key :( so I take it get a new one after the trial again ?
Yes, you can get one now, instead of getting one later.
http://www.avast.com/eng/home-registration.php

As for the scan, I'll try it again later, has this happened anyone else, the stopping I mean?
Sometimes, the usual recommendadtions are described here, follow these if it happens repeatedly. This will allow for more investigation.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=44658.msg376025#msg376025

Also, how come avast now can't scan those files that are password protected, yet before my comp was recovered, it could??
No, it wouldn't have been able to scan it at all.

-Scott-