Author Topic: Unable to install Avast Home Edition  (Read 2697 times)

Wenzz

Unable to install Avast Home Edition
« on: November 06, 2009, 06:22:01 PM »
Hello All,

This my first time using Avast, and my first time posting.

I have downloaded Avast Home Edition, the first screen that says, Downloading Packages: Downloading File: Setupeng.exe.  When the download completes, I click finish and nothing happens.  The interface never appears. When I click to open the program from the desktop it goes back to the Download Package screen.  I am unable to install or scan my computer. 

Please can someone help me. I am without anti-virus protection

Thanks in advance,
Wenzz

Wenzz

Re: Unable to install Avast Home Edition
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
Also I forgot to add,

When setup is finished a message reads:

There was an error while completing the setup process.

Wenzz

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 06:34:41 PM »
Which link did you use to initiate the download ?

If you used the Cnet download now link, downloads a small setup file that is then run to install the full program and there have been problems with that.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

It may be best to do a clean reinstall:
Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall. Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the Language version you require and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do).

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Wenzz

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 02:41:46 AM »
DavidR,
Thanks so much for your quick response to my post.

I removed Avast Home Edition.  I tried to download and reinstall.  During the download I received the following error message:

Error 1006 (00000311) has occurred.
Last performance operation was opening the self extract archive.  Try to download the setup file again.

I'm lost what should I do?

Also you mentioned HDD.... What is HDD?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 03:00:42 AM »
Hi Wenz, can you confirm that the file you downloaded following DavidR's advice was the 36.99MB one titled "setupeng.exe"?
HDD is basically hard drive. As in "save it to a location of your choosing, (normally the desktop) for easy finding again."

If the file you downloaded wasn't' that one, try a direct download. (warning: clicking on the link will start a ~37Mb download.)

Follow the steps listed by DavidR above, again.

If this is still a problem (or you had the correct file but it wasn't working) the probabilities include another AV active (or recently removed) or a malware infestation. Lets hope it's not the latter! (Been getting any symptoms?)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.