Author Topic: Scan One File at a time - Is it Possible?  (Read 9340 times)

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Scan One File at a time - Is it Possible?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 05:45:18 PM »
hello eager to learn,

ashquick.exe doesn't work as you think.

say that you have a folder on desktop named as eager.

inside the folder let us put a 100 MB file named as setup.exe.

now, if you have to scan the 100 MB file, you have to get into the folder and left click the file once. then right click while being on the same file and select the "scan setup.exe"

now we will see what happens when you do that:

1) windows just pings ashquick.exe with the message "file name, say, desktop\eager\setup.exe."

2) ashquick.exe scans only the file it has been asked to scan that is setup.exe. hence it doesn't scan whole hard disk.

you if click ashquick.exe then it will not give you prompt asking which files to scan for. if you want that kind of a prompt then you have to do this : right click avast! tray icon > start avast! antivirus > select the folders to be scanned and click scan.

if you want a result of a scan for the scans you invoked using ashquick.exe then do this : right click avast! tray icon > program settings > check show results of explorer extension.

you cant actually scan file when you click start download button on a page. it will be scanned after the file is downloaded.

when the download manager(dm) is used to download, you can put the command line in the settings of the dm and so ashquick.exe is automatically called as soon as the file is downloaded. you don't have to press any button in order to invoke scan from the download manager.

yes, both fdm and orbit dm's have an option to be directly invoked from the browser so that the file to be downloaded will automatically sit in the queue of the dm.

summary:

1) ashquick.exe is only an explorer extension of the avast scanner. it can be invoked by right clicking a file and selecting scan file.

2) it will scan only the file from which it was invoked.

3) it doesn't scan whole drive unless you select a drive, right click and select "scan drive:\"

4) file scan complete- no malware found can be opted via the settings as indicated.

5) you don't have to click anything if you have asked a dm to invoke ashquick.exe after download is complete since it will automatically do that.

6) download managers does install plugins in web browser so that when you click download button on a site, it will automatically show an option to add the file to download queue.

nmb
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 06:00:22 PM by nmb »

eager to learn

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 06:37:39 PM »
Hi nmb,

I think we're getting closer to me understating how this all works.

I click on the avast tray icon, it opens to avast, I click Start avast anitvirus and it opens to that large graphic that looks like a radio dial in your car. I can then click Start Scan and choose Folders but it just opens to folders. I don't see where I can select a file and not just a folder.

If I click on the folder it doesn't open to the file I downloaded.

How would I select just a file not an entire folder to scan?

So, now I've clicked program settings > and checked the show results of explorer extension.

Is there anything else I must do to scan and get results of that scan for just one file and not a folder?

Does this mean from now on when I visit a Web site and click Download Now that ashquick.exe will automatically start scanning the file being downloaded?

And then give me a prompt that the file has been scanned and is clean?

Or is that where this download manager applies?

So, that if I don't use a download manager I have to scan the new downloaded file only after ti's already on my hard drive and may be unleashing it's malware, is that correct?

Presuming that's correct, then in order to scan a downloaded file *before* it gets to my hard drive I must have download and install a download manager?

And somehow write some command into that download manager to invoke the ashquick.exe as the file is being downloaded, is that correct?

My goal is to scan a file before it ends up on my hard drive. Once it's on my hard drive all sorts of nefarious things can happen even without opening the downloaded file.

You mentioned that download manager does install plugins in web browser so that when you click download button on a site, it will automatically show an option to add the file to download queue.

So, I visit the download manager Web site where fdm or orbit downloader are located. I click Download Now and they download to my hard drive to a folder I've specified. Then, I click on that download manager program to install and they extract their files on to my hard drive.

How do I get that download program I just downloaded into Firefox so that when I go visit a site where I want to download a file that download manager appears in some drop down menu that I can then choose and it will invoke ashquick.exe?

Do these download manager programs explain step-by-step what and how I type some words into some command line somewhere so that ashquick.exe will be invoked and start scanning as soon as I click Download Now for a file on a  Web site?

Or does that download manager program tell you which Firefox plug-in you then need to download also to invoke ashquick.exe?

This all begs the question that while you're downloading the download manager to invoke ashquick.exe you're not able to apply ashquick.exe so the download manager could be corrupted and you could be installing malware with the download manager.

Thanks for all your help with this complicated process.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 07:18:01 PM »
hello eager to learn,

you have not even got a single point I wanted to convey. may be it is because I didn't explain properly or you didn't understand properly because you are completely new to computers.

nmb

Hermite15

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 07:22:16 PM »
How do I get that download program I just downloaded into Firefox so that when I go visit a site where I want to download a file that download manager appears in some drop down menu that I can then choose and it will invoke ashquick.exe?

read my previous post here again: once fdm is installed, you must go into fdm options and tweak them...you'll find everything there.

This all begs the question that while you're downloading the download manager to invoke ashquick.exe you're not able to apply ashquick.exe so the download manager could be corrupted and you could be installing malware with the download manager.

;D ;D ;D are you for real  ???  :D (are you Scan's brother  ??? ... never mind  ::) )
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 07:24:16 PM by Logos »

CharleyO

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 12:36:37 AM »

To scan a single file inside a folder :

1 - double left click the folder to open it.

2 - hover your cursor of the file you want to scan with avast.

3 - right click the file once to get the menu.

4 - look for the "a" ball in the menu. Beside it will be something to this effect ... Scan (your file name here).

5 - left click once on Scan (your file name here).

6 - two small windows should open giving you the information you seek.

I hope this helps you to understand what the others are posting about scanning a file inside a folder.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 12:38:18 AM by CharleyO »

eager to learn

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 06:08:10 AM »
Hi Charley O,

Your post was very helpful That worked well.

Perhaps, you can enlighten me as to scanning while downloading a file with one of the download managers?

Is there a particular download manager program you've used where you can share step-by-step, as you aptly did with scanning a single file, which might guide me about scanning a file as I'm downloading with Firefox 3.0.15?

Thanks so much for all your help and patience.

CharleyO

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 06:36:30 AM »

You are welcome, eager, and I am happy that helped you.

I can not be of much help with the downloading since I only use the download manager that comes inside Opera 10. I rely on avast's providers/shields to detect anything malicious after the download is complete.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 03:51:39 PM »
<snip>
Is there a particular download manager program you've used where you can share step-by-step, as you aptly did with scanning a single file, which might guide me about scanning a file as I'm downloading with Firefox 3.0.15?
<snip>

Firstly, you should update firefox as the current version is 3.5.5.

Secondly, the firefox download function in 3.5 says it has the AV scan the downloaded file, but it doesn't work with many AVs at all avast being one.

There is no link pre scanner in avast, you can add various add-ons to firefox to use to right ckick on a link and have something like the DrWeb link scanner scan the file. This however isn't 100% by some way so there is no guarantees.

If the download is done in your browser using HTTP protocol over port 80 then the web shield should scan the download whilst it is downloaded before it is finally saved to your hard disk.

Many download managers work with firefox and I use Orbit downloader. Most download managers have an option to have your AV scan the downloaded file, you must enter the full path to the antivirus file that does the scanning, which is: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

eager to learn

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 05:13:36 PM »
Hi DavidR,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience.

If I download and install Orbit downloader can you please explain step-by-step, as Charley O did for me with applying avast to scan a file at a time, how I would make Orbit downloader work with avast in scanning a file as it was downloading?

Once I've downloaded and extracted the files in Orbit downloader, thereby installing it on my hard drive, what steps would I need to then take to ensure that Orbit downloader would then work in conjunction with avast to scan a file as it was being downloaded?

That would be very helpful and I would be very appreciative.

Thank you so much.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 05:27:50 PM »
You need to look in the Orbit Options, run the program, Tools, Preferences, Anti-Virus section, check the Use virus scanner to scan downloads and paste the path I gave in my last post.

Orbit doesn't have avast scan whilst downloading, it calls ashQuick.exe to scan the file on completion.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security