Author Topic: Avast reports corrupted files when new version installed  (Read 4426 times)

Gillie2tat

Avast reports corrupted files when new version installed
« on: June 11, 2004, 10:04:20 AM »
OK on Wednesday Avast downloaded a new version of itself and I just let it install itself.  As soon as I scanned my system on Thursday Avast told me a whole lot of program files were corrupted.

I had had trouble with a couple of installations so I carried out a System Restore to Tuesday night when I knew things were fine after my virus problem last weekend.  I carried out a full system scan again and no problems.

I allowed Avast to update itself this morning and again got a report with a lot of program files corrupted.  I can send you the log if that would be helpful, it's too long to post here.

I have carried out another System Restore and I propose not to allow the program update the install for a few days but to carry out a full system scan every day until Monday which will tell me if something else is causing these corrupted file messages to appear.

If it does turn out to be Avast then rather than allowing Avast to update I will probably have to download the new version and carry out an uninstall and reinstall to see if that is OK.  I am running the demo unregistered version at the moment.

At the moment this is more an alert to bring to your attention that something may be wrong with your installer because files that are nothing to do with Avast are coming up as corrupted, for example files within the Microsoft WorkSuite programs.

I'm using Windows XP Service Pack 1 and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6/Netscape Navigator 7.1 as necessary, with Eudora for my e-mail program.  If you have any suggestions do please feel free to assist!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 10:05:13 AM by Gillie2tat »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Avast reports corrupted files when new version installed
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 10:10:15 AM »
whole lot of program files were corrupted.

Can you post a screenshot of what you mean? You mean like in the result window of an on-demand scan?

Do you have report generation turned on?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

jk

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 10:24:25 AM »
Hi, for me the same. After the update, I´ve got a report of many of corrupted files.
For example:

06:55:24  C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallQ818043$\winipsec.dll\[AsPack]  [E] Archiv ist beschädigt. (42052)  
06:55:26  C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\cscompmgd\7.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\cscompmgd.dll\ [AsPack]  [E] Archiv ist beschädigt. (42052)  
06:55:26  C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\IIEHost\1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\IIEHost.dll\ [AsPack]  [E] Archiv ist beschädigt. (42052)  
06:55:27  C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\Microsoft_VsaVb\7.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\ Microsoft_VsaVb.dll\[AsPack]  [E] Archiv ist beschädigt. (42052)  
06:55:52  C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\ccdecode.sys\[AsPack]  [E] Archiv ist beschädigt. (42052)  
06:56:47  C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab\amsint.sys\[AsPack]  [E] Archiv ist beschädigt. (42052)  
06:56:47  C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab\apmbatt.sys\[AsPack]  [E] Archiv ist beschädigt. (42052)  
06:56:47  C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab\cd20xrnt.sys\[AsPack]  [E] Archiv ist beschädigt. (42052)  
06:56:47  C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab\hidswvd.sys\[AsPack]  [E] Archiv ist beschädigt. (42052)  
06:56:47  C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab\sparrow.sys\[AsPack]  [E] Archiv ist beschädigt. (42052)  

Hope this helps. Never got a report of corrupted files before.

Jk

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 10:55:07 AM »
That's rather strange, because there were no changes to the aspack-unpacking engine in the latest update...

In any case, I can confirm this behavior. Actually, the mentioned files (from driver.cab) are definitelly not aspacked files - so the detection is wrong somewhere...

PK, any comments? ;D

Gillie2tat

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 01:39:59 PM »
Yes that is exactly what I'm getting, I saved the log after the last scan which reported corrupted files and will send it to you via e-mail when I get home after work today.  It's too long to post here, the board won't let me post it because it's so long.

Timo Schmidt

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 01:58:58 PM »
I think we have the guilty guy in this thread :D ;)

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=5103

This bug will be addressed in the next build :)

Greetings

Timo

Gillie2tat

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 02:00:55 PM »
Except that I'm using the English language version.  Will let you have my log anyway today, there might be something else to spot.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 02:01:56 PM by Gillie2tat »

Gillie2tat

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 03:16:04 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, I forgot to remove some code when I tested new aspack routine - it will be fixed in next build.

Copied this from the "Huge bug in Avast 4" strand, hope it's all right to do that.

At the moment I'm in the situation where I have XP at the System Restore point I created on Tuesday night, but have not yet allowed Avast to reinstall the software update containing this bug.

Now that this has been verified as a bug should I just let it install the bug and then install the next update when it downloads?