Author Topic: RPC Error  (Read 15122 times)

ktm

RPC Error
« on: November 09, 2009, 02:35:06 AM »
Hello....Although I am active on some candle message boards, this is my first time here and I need help!!!    My problem is:  There's a red circle on the avast! a-ball icon in my system tray and when I click on it, the error message appears saying "the AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error".  I followed through on the Help screen and everything seems in order pertaining to the RPC....any suggestions? ???

Thank you in advance.

Kathleen

CharleyO

Re: RPC Error
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 03:12:37 AM »

Welcome to the forums, ktm.   :)

What anti-virus did you use on your computer before avast?

How did your remove the old anti-virus?

ktm

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 03:18:26 AM »
Hello and thank you for responding.... 

My former Anti Virus software was CA Internet Security.  It was uninstalled on my computer when Avast was put on.

KTM

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 03:28:51 AM »

Yes, I know you removed it but how was it removed?

I ask this because what you are experiencing is usually the results of the remains of an old av. If you removed it with Add/remove Programs only, that is not enough. You will need to use a removal program from CA for complete removal.

Try using the CA download link at the site below. Scroll down the page until you come to CA and then click the download link just below the CA icon.
Be sure follow directions at the download site.

http://www.askvg.com/ultimate-collection-of-uninstallers-removal-tools-for-all-popular-anti-virus-software/

ktm

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 03:40:18 AM »
I just read exactly what you said on another post about having the remains of a previous av on the computer and that it can create problems....so, I will do as you suggested and go to the site recommended..... and see what happens from there.  Thank you CharleyO 

I may be back............lol   Only kidding, I will be back because I have learned so much since signing on to this forum.  Thank you again
KTM

ktm

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 03:50:46 AM »
See I'm back already..... ;)   I have another question....on the Collection of Uninstaller website it states the following: Just run the uninstaller's EXE file and follow the instructions. Restart your system and you are ready to install your new anti-virus software

So, does this mean that I will have to uninstall Avast prior to running the CA uninstall file or can I leave Avast as is and run the uninstall file?

KTM

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 03:52:39 AM »

Yes, please come back as you will also need to do a repair of avast once you have used the CA removal tool.

To repair avast :

Control panel > Add/remove programs > click once on avast to select it > click on Change/Remove > scroll down the left pane and click on repair > click OK> follow directions

ktm

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 04:11:48 AM »

Hello,
I went as far as loading the program to uninstall CA on my computer and then when I went to open the file it stated that I would have to authorize a CA support team person to gain control of my computer through remote access in order to resolve this issue.... I can't say that I am comfortable with this, so I cancelled out of the program....  Is there no other program that I can use without having to give someone remote access?

KTM

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 04:52:34 AM »
I downloaded the CA uninstaller and tried it myself, and yes, what you say is correct (as you know), it offers to have a CA tech take remote control of your PC.
I understand your reservation. I'd have a reservation myself, though it probably is quite kosher and OK.
(You just don't want a stranger, no matter how professional, going through your computer settings, do you?)
Anyway, it's up to you if you want to do that, there are a few things we can try first.

I'd try the Avira registry cleaner. The 7th tool here.
download it to your desktop, extract all contents to the desktop. (You'll need to use a zip program. You probably have a version of Winzip installed, which will unzip the contents of the folder for you.)

Once all are extracted, double-click the file shaped like a red and white umbrella. Select "configuration", and un-tick the HKEY-current user" box.
Then click "scan for keys". It will take a minute or two.
There are likely to be 6 entries found for Avast. (don't touch those.)
If any are found for any other AV, please post the result here (there is no easy way to copy and paste the result, sorry, you'll have to type it out), or take a screenshot and post that, please.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 04:57:19 AM »
BTW, there are other steps can be taken if this one doesn't do the job.
Might just take a little longer. ;)

CharleyO

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 05:48:40 AM »

Hi ktm -

Sorry about the CA uninstall link I gave. I had no idea about the CA support team person needing to gain control of my computer through remote access.   :(

Thanks for the additional help, Tarq.   :)

ktm

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 05:49:12 AM »
Hello,

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.  I will look a bit more into this tomorrow night and will come back and let you know the results....  This really is an amazing board, I have learned so much tonight just reading all the different posts...thanks again for your help.

KTM

ktm

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 05:53:09 AM »
Hello CharleyO...  That's fine....I'm sure that there are some individuals out there that may not have a problem using that site, but I guess I'm a bit cautious....sometimes to a fault!!!   LOL

KTM

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 05:58:49 AM »
Not necessarily a bad thing.
'Specially with 'pooters.
Glad you got my pm.  ;)

ktm

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 06:06:19 AM »
Yes I did, and thank you...I am definitely a newbie!!

I'm actually anxious to work on my computer tomorrow night and see if I can get this resolved...until then, goodnight.
KTM