Author Topic: RPC Error  (Read 15125 times)

ktm

Re: RPC Error
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 02:50:36 AM »
Hello Tarq,

I downloaded the Avira registry cleaner and the entries shown below were displayed after I opened the red and white umbrella shaped file.  I have not done anything as of yet.....waiting your instructions!!! :)  I noticed that I did not have 6 entries for Avast, but the entry below each Avast entry looked like it was associated with the Avast entry, but whatever that is worth...I really have no clue, only guessing here.  Not sure about the first entry....could that be another antivirus program?

HKEY_Local_Machine\software\classes\cybdefcom.officeantivirus
HKEY_Local_Machine\system\controlset001\services\avast! antivirus
HKEY_Local_Machine\system\controlset001\services\eventlog\antivirus
HKey_Local_Machine\system\controlset002\services\avast! antivirus
HKEY_Local_Machine\system\controlset002\services\eventlog\antivirus
HKey_Local_Machine\system\controlset003\services\avast! antivirus
HKEY_Local_Machine\system\controlset003\services\eventlog\antivirus
HKEY_Local_Machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\avast! antivirus
HKEY_Local_Machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\eventlog\antivirus

KTM....(No, this is not another entry on my computer!!! LOL)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 03:19:58 AM »
The only one of those that looks like it should not be there is No. 1, cybdefcom.officeantivirus.
This is quite possibly the reason for the problem.
Do you recall ever having installed CyberDefender abtivirus (or internet security)? Or anything from CyberDefender?

Please look in you control panel>add/remove programs to see if such a beast is installed. While you're in there, see if CA Antivirus has an entry. (Do you still have the installer file for that?)
Also please look and see if there is an entry for "MyIdentityDefender Toolbar".

Do nothing else, right now.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 03:31:10 AM »
This one as far as I'm aware has nothing to do with avast:
HKEY_Local_Machine\software\classes\cybdefcom.officeantivirus

This one I'm guessing is Cyber Defender, which is confirmed by this google searches, http://www.google.com/search?q=cybdefcom.officeantivirus and http://www.google.com/search?q=CyberDefender. Which doesn't get a good ranking by WOT http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/cyberdefender.com and http://hphosts.blogspot.com/2009/03/cyberdefender-want-your-money-back.html but they may have cleaned up their act, http://blog.stopbadware.org/2009/04/17/cyberdefender-removed-from-active-alerts-list.

However, check and see it has been uninstalled in add remove programs and the entry should be removed using the avira registry cleaner...

The others of which there are only two avast entries, but they are replicated across the current user and other controlsets, which is normal.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ktm

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 03:45:59 AM »
Hi...

I just checked and there is nothing in the add/remove programs for Cyber Defender or My Identity Defender Toolbar.   There is Norton Ghost though.  Will the Norton Ghost interfere with avast?

My husband just reminded me that the CA Antivirus was on my old computer and we never put it on this computer, which is fairly new.  Well, that would explain why there is nothing for CA on this computer....  sorry about that!

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 03:49:05 AM »
OK, cool.
Run the Avira reg cleaner again, same as before, and this time tick only that first entry, then have the cleaner remove it.
Reboot.
Do you still have the RPC error?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 03:50:22 AM »
PS, Norton Ghost should be OK, provided that's the only Norton program installed. (Check in "add/remove programs" for any other Norton/Symantec programs.)

ktm

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 04:01:20 AM »
I only see Norton Ghose in the add/remove programs.

I have not run Avira at all yet because I thought you wanted me to inform you of what was displayed in the "umbrella like" file first....so, yes I still am getting the RPC error.

I will run it now, but tick only the first entry.  OK?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 04:04:33 AM »
Yes, run it, exactly the same as before, but this time clean that one entry.

ktm

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 04:08:57 AM »
Ok, maybe I'm confused here....when I opend the "umbrella like" file tonight the entries I previously typed came onto the screen.  All the entries listed that did not have avast antivirus in the entry were already ticked off.  So, are you saying that now I just tick off the first entry and then what...?  The tabs at the bottom of the screen say:  Configuration, Clear List, Delete and Exit.

By the way, thank you for your patience.....

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 04:29:09 AM »
Make sure all the entries do not have a tick in them, except that first one titled
HKEY_Local_Machine\software\classes\cybdefcom.officeantivirus.
Tick the box beside that one.
Then press the "delete" button. Close the Avira application, (and any other open programs) and reboot.

ktm

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 04:44:18 AM »
Ok....  Just was not sure if I should be using the delete, but I will try it now and reboot.

ktm

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 04:54:24 AM »
Deleted the first entry only and rebooted.....the same red box appears when I come on-line stating that an error has occurred while attempting to update...click here for more info.  When I click on the message it states the same RPC Error message.....  :(  So, what would be the next plan?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 05:03:33 AM »
The next plan is to go back to add/remove programs (are you using Windows XP?) and select Avast antivirus, click "change or remove, and from the selection that will then appear, scroll down and select "repair".
Hopefully this will do it.

There's one or two more things that can be done. One of them involves a search through the system files to find any Cyberdefender remnants. (Do you remember ever installing this?)

Another thing will be to install and scan with MBAM in case this is malware related.

Then there are a couple of more tools....just to let you know where you're at. No need to do any of the others, yet. Hopefully the Avast repair will do it.

ktm

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 05:15:28 AM »
Sounds like a plan....I will go in and repair and then see what happens from there.

Yes I am using Window XP and no we never loaded Cyberdefender on here...but we had this computer built, so could it have been on here and we didn't know it?

I'm going to go and "repair" and then I'll be back......
Thanks again...

ktm

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 05:38:03 AM »
When I clicked on the Change or Remove icon in the add/remove program I received the following error message: 

avast! A Setiface error has occurred:  536870929  Try to reinstall or contact supprt