Author Topic: RPC Error  (Read 15120 times)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: RPC Error
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2009, 05:58:53 AM »
OK, there's another part to the "repair" plan, which is a full reinstall from scratch.

-Download the Avast unisntall utility (aswClear.exe), get it here.
-Download the full setup file for Avast home (setupeng.exe -36.99MB) from halfway down this page, 2nd download below the words Free registration. Or click THIS for a direct download.
-Disconnect from the net.
-Locate (possibly in your email folder) the license key to Avast home. If it is in your email folder, no need to copy it, just know where you can copy it from.
-Right click the Avast ball in the system tray (lower right) and select "Program settings>troubleshooting" and disable the Avast self defense module.
-Go to the control panel add/remove programs, and uninstall Avast. Reboot. If there were any indicated/perceived problems uninstalling, reboot into safe mode.
-Run the file aswClear.exe. Reboot/reboot into normal, as appropriate.
-Install Avast again from the file linked above, setupeng.exe. (You may want to skip the boot scan that I think offers to run as part of the setup, if you are reasonably sure you're malware-free. It can take an hour or more.)
-Reconnect to the net, get updates.
-Post back, please.

Hope this works. But there's more if it doesn't.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

ktm

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2009, 06:11:11 AM »
LOL LOL....I'm sitting here laughing to myself.... and the cats, as I read all that you have just posted....that will have to be tomorrow nights project!!!  It's a good thing I don't have candles to make!!   :)  Man you guys are busy on here.  I feel terrible taking up so much time, but I suppose my problem is as important as the next persons and it's a great learning experience for me.

I will post back, but before I sign off, can you answer one more question...what do you mean when you say "if you are reasonably sure you're malware-free"...what exactly does that mean?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2009, 07:20:22 AM »
In answer to your question, if you have malware, (virus, trojans, worms etc) there are usually symptoms such as web searches and addresses redirected, applications not working, error messages, popups on the desktop - often warning of a spyware infestation, noticeable computer slowdowns etc.
This doesn't seem to be the case with you, the Avast error appears to be the only problem, so it's likely you don't have (significant) malware.

If re-installing doesn't work, that's something we'll have to address next.

It's no problem offering this help, it's a hobby, and a way to help pay Alwil back for the use of this excellent software. It takes me maybe two to ten minutes to research stuff concerning the "average" problem, and another 2-5 minutes to collate it into a post.
The procedure posted above would probably take me about 20minutes to carry out; perhaps you should allow about an hour, because you'll be less certain, and wanting to check each step etc, maybe have a few questions. That's OK.

You'll be a semi-whiz when we've finished.

Now,something worth checking first: have you registered your Avast Home?
Failure to do so will prevent it getting updates. Info and registration form here.
Registration is free, my experience is that it is totally safe to use your home email address when registering, and the key will be posted to you within 24hr, usually immediately.

Lack of registration should not in itself cause the error you're having, but it's worth checking.
If you haven't registered, do that first. When you get the key emailed (if you haven't yet) copy the license key (by highlighting only the key, and pressing control and c, then right-click the tray icon, select "about Avast", click "License key", place the cursor in the field provided, press control and v, then click OK.

ktm

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2009, 03:19:44 AM »
Hello...

Yes my avast is registered...did this a few months back.  I don't seem to have any problems other then the RPC Error, but I did notice over this past weekend that I had a problem when forwarding a message on my e-mail. I use Outlook Express. The message would not forward unless I kept the subject lines (To: From: Subject...etc) that appear at the top of the letterhead when you forward a message....  I have never had this problem before.

Anyhow...I researched tonight how to open in Safe Mode and I will attempt to uninstall shortly...
I'm a bit apprehensive.... :-\but I'll give it a try.
Will let you know how I do later...

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2009, 03:53:50 AM »
Don't be apprehensive.
Be very very scared.

(Just joking.)
Chances are you will not have to run the tool in safe mode.
If you have nay questions, just ask away.

Just make sure you have all the tools needed before going offline. You may want to copy and print instructions as appropriate, or at least save them in notepad to the desktop for easy reference.
Going offline is simply so you are not exposed to the internet without an AV active.

ktm

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2009, 04:44:04 AM »
I have down loaded both the aswclear.exe and the setupeng.exe program and they are on my desktop, but I have not run them.  I then went to the add/remove program and I get that same message from last night.........avast! A Setiface error has occurred:  536870929   

So, what would be my next step.....looking at what I printed out last night, I don't run either of the above programs until after I uninstall avast...correct?  If that is the case, how do get past the error message?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2009, 04:52:58 AM »
If you are unable to uninstall Avast via "add/remove programs", (did you disable the self defense module, first?)
then reboot into safe and then run aswClear.exe, then continue with the rest of the procedure.

ktm

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2009, 05:00:17 AM »
Yes I disabled the self defense module...

So, what I should do next is disconect from the net, reboot in safe, run aswClear.exe and then do I go back to add/remove and try to uninstall Avast all the while I am in safe mode?  Do I run setupeng.exe in safe mode as well?

ktm

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2009, 05:03:03 AM »
Hey, I'm listed as a Jr. Member now............... ;D  But I have not even made it through my first problem and already I've advanced my self!!!   Too Funny!!  So, does that mean that I'm almost ready to help other people....lol lol  (Yes, I am only kidding!!!)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2009, 05:13:39 AM »
Not quite, but close.
Yes, do disconnect.
Running aswClear.exe in safe mode should fully uninstall all components. (Including anything in quarantine, which will be deleted=harmless.)
Then reboot into normal mode, and run the setup file. Then reboot as prompted to complete the setup. If you answer yes to the boot scan (which used to be but may not now be  part of the setup process) expect the reboot to take a long time, as the computer is scanned before Windows is loaded.
As soon as Avast is indicated as being present, by the icon in the system tray, you can reconnect to the net.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2009, 05:14:33 AM »
Some users almost get to senior stage before the first problem is fixed.  ;D
Those are pretty heavy duty problems though. (Usually.)

ktm

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2009, 05:18:13 AM »

LOL...just read your last message!!  Well lets hope that I'm not one of the senior ones....and too think that I considered myself a quick learner!!!

Hopefully I will be able to get back from the "safe mode" and let you know the results....
Ok......I feel like I'm taking a plunge here, but Here I go...

ktm

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2009, 06:18:20 AM »
Ok...well I uninstalled in safe mode and rebooted....it came all the way to my desktop and then I receive the following message.

Windows No Disk   Exception Processing Message  C0000013   Parameters 75B6BF7C 4

I can not cancel out of this, nor does it allow me to continue. It freezes up the computer, although windows boots, it's still asking for a disk.  Task Manager can not close it either.   Right now I am writing to you on my spare computer.   

All I did in Safe mode was uninstall.....

ktm

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2009, 07:34:08 AM »
Hello Tarq,
Well I finally made it back on my computer and it was scary!!!!  LOL   While I was on the other computer writing my message to you, my husband was able to free up my computer and run the setupeng.exe program.  I was a tad worried that the previous error message would still be there when it was done loading, but after about a half hour it completed and NO ERROR Message....and NO RPC error.  I was so thrilled....but down deep a bit disappointed because I wanted to do it on my own!!!!! :) When it comes to computers, I think I test my husband's patience......lol  He says I move to quick!!!  The end result is that the problem I believe is fixed and now I can explore Avast since it is working....  The only thing Tarq is that there was no place to load my Reg. Key number.  When I click on "About Avast" it shows a Key #, but it's not the number that I had previously had...so how do I go about putting my original key # in?

I can't thank you enough for all your long distance help....for a hobby, you do an awesome job here!!
By the way, my husband is from your neck of the world....Perth, AU.  We use to go back every year, but have not been there the past two years...one day we will make New Zealand.  I hear it's gorgeous....

Thank you again and I will check back to see about the Registration Key...
Good Night
KTM

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2009, 09:01:36 AM »
Whew.
I had to do something else for a while, after your previous message about needing a disk, then my wife needed to use the computer. I was just about to start troubleshooting this error message when your last post arrived, which must've been a relief.

The error is often reported/posted about, and it appears that many things can cause it, one of the likely ones in your case is that Windows is "set" to look for a disk (or similar) and it can be caused by using a flash drive, and unplugging it without using the "safely remove hardware" option - the icon in the system tray for that is pictured below.
The answer (if this is the case) is to plug the device in, wait till Windows recognizes it, and use "safely remove hardware" to stop it before removing. Hope that helps/is applicable...there are many other reported causes, including hardware problems, I'd estimeate that given the procedure the computer has been through it is looking for something that is programed to start with Windows that was removed, and that is possibly Avast. Now it's been installed I hope the problem is resolved, please advise if it recurs.

The license key you have with your new installation will self-expire in (IIRC) 60 days. At (or prior to) that point, that key can be removed and your original inserted.

I've been to Perth once..just the transit lounge at the airport, on the way to BKK, about 26years ago. Looked nice! Certainly a place high on the desirable to live list, if I couldn't live in NZ. Only problem (for me) with NZ is it's a bit cold at times, and the sun (when it happens) is harsh, because of the ozone hole (which is real, and very noticeable. We have sunburn times in the summer of around 10minutes. Any longer in the sun, you get burned. Badly.)

So I hope this is all fixed and stays that way. If it isn't, post back here. If you have any other questions or problems that appear unrelated, start a new topic in the forum.
This forum just rocks. I've learned heaps here, and that is partly why it has become a hobby.
Glad to have helped you.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:09:31 AM by Tarq57 »