Author Topic: Vista won't start, BART won't boot...HELP?!  (Read 9582 times)

cmcgee

Vista won't start, BART won't boot...HELP?!
« on: August 25, 2009, 11:57:57 AM »
Hello!

I've got an emachine, AMD Sempron 3800 processor, 2.2GHz, 256KB L2 Cache, 1600MHz system bus, with a VNIDIA GEForce 6100, 2GB of RAM and a 160GB SATA II hard drive.  I'm running windows Vista Home Premium.

I use a cable modem with standard windows firewall to connect to the internet.  My email client is MS Outlook 2007.  I’m not using any other security software at this time except for Ad-aware. 

I’m TRYING to use the BART bootable CD, program version 2.0.201, vps 090824-0, setup 2.0.201.

I generated the ISO on my laptop and then burned it to a CD.  When I tried to boot the machine I’m trying to repair, the one above, it won’t boot from the CD.  I’ve used the F10 option from the splash screen, chose boot from cd, but it still goes into vista repair mode/options screen.  I can’t seem to access the BART CD.

For some reason, the computer will arbitrarily shut off.  It's like you unplugged it from the wall.  Currently I can’t even get it to boot to the system…windows begins to load and then just powers down.

I've checked the power supply, the mother board, reseated the heat sink with new sealant, reseated the video card and the memory sticks.  The internal temperature never approaches the maximum for shut down and I'm running out of ideas.

I know it can't be heat problem as I can, with some fiddling and booting from the bios or repair screens, get it to stay on for over 24 hours...UNLESS I attempt to do something.  That something is entirely arbitrary.  Something like starting IE will shut it down, turning off Ad-aware, etc.  It's completely arbitrary. 

I had done a complete antivirus scan with Avast when it first started getting "quirky" and have also been able to get Glary Utilities to run.  No viruses were found and what Glary found, it repaired, but to no avail.

I'd like to run a complete antivirus scan from a boot cd or before all drivers can load, but am unable to find one.  I'm not sure it's a virus I'm having problems with in any case...it may be driver conflicts.  I have run a complete diagnostics of memory from the Vista boot option, extended, with no luck.

ANY advice you can give would be REALLY appreciated!  It's a head scratcher!!

Thanks,

cmcgee@satx.rr.com

wpn

Re: Vista won't start, BART won't boot...HELP?!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
see if you experience the same problems with running a linux LIVE cd, trendmicro offers a free virusscan from their website (hey avast guys, jump in here too with the new avast 5!) via java which u could try to run on the machine if it works under linux....

can you boot into vista safe mode and does the system work better then? (smash F8 a few times while booting) if so its something that you installed recently that screwed up

you do not have for sure another antivirus package installed next to avast?

sys-eng

Re: Vista won't start, BART won't boot...HELP?!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 05:47:53 PM »
I suspect you have a power supply or motherboard failure.  I have seen a lot of emachines motherboards fail.