Author Topic: Avast 4.8 on W2k3: stuck in 'Applying Computer Settings'  (Read 8396 times)

misja.geuskens

Avast 4.8 on W2k3: stuck in 'Applying Computer Settings'
« on: November 10, 2009, 12:17:01 PM »
Hi all,

I deployed Avast 4.8 net-client (Standard Shield & Script blocking only) to one of our W2k3 Domain Controller servers (SP 2, latest HF's, Windows Firewall running) through ADNM for a test. Deploy went fine, but after the first reboot my server got stuck into the fase of Applying Computere Settings'. I waited for 15 minutes to go through, but it never did. Eventually a Safe Mode Boot and uninstall solved the problem.

I've seen only one other thread concerning this problem. It was a SBS 2003 server. Anyone a solution for this or experienced it.

Regards,

Misja Geuskens, Malawi
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 12:52:18 PM by misja.geuskens »

misja.geuskens

Re: Avast 4.8 on W2k3: stuck in 'Applying Computer Settings'
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:25:43 AM »
Hi all,

I posted this topic a few weeks ago and I haven't got a reply. For the deployment of the Avast Suite it is critical that I sort this problem before we purchase the license. If not, I have to look for other Anti-Virus solutions. Anyone an idea how to deal with this?

Kind regards, Misja

misja.geuskens

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 03:16:10 PM »
After some investigation I found the following:

-Installing on a W2k3 server can be done by disabling the MS Firewall and enabling File & Print services. The FW can be enabled afterward. Not a scenario which makes it safe to install Avast safely on a server in a heavily infected network (yep, I'm doing my best here in Nkhoma Hospital, Malawi, Africa :-)

However

-Installing on a W2k3 Domain Controller remains the same problem. Server stuck in 'Applying computer settings'. Only to be solved by Safe boot and uninstall
-In the eventviewer I found: The avast! Antivirus service depends on the following nonexistent service: aswMonFlt This service is present as registry keys and depending on the FLTMGR which is present as well in the registry and the driver file is present as in the filesystem (system32\DRIVERS\fltMgr.sys).

Anyone an idea how to go from here?

Thx

wpn

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 06:52:41 PM »
if its not save to deploy over the network, then deploy by a package you created and put on a portable medium.... :)

it sounds like during installation something get corrupted and the setting that makes the files load during boot didnt get applied....
try using the installation package, if you dont trust the ADNM server anymore either you can download a generic netclient package from the
alwil website to install.....

misja.geuskens

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 10:58:32 AM »
sorry for the late reply, but I suffered from malaria, last week. I'm better now :-)

I tried the following:
-installing the netclient manually
-installing the server-client manually

Neither of them did work and I ended up in 'applying computer settings' as before

I noticed the next error in the eventviewer though.

-After installing the netclient manually
aswServ::AavmStart ERROR...
AAVM - initialization error: AavmStart: Cannot load core driver!!!, 00000002.

After installing the server-client manually
Cannot obtain local host due to WinSock error 0x00002AFC.

Hope this might help in solving the problem.

wpn

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 11:50:52 PM »
you should visit the GGD before going to a (tropical) country outside europe for advise ;) (no i dont work at a GGD (not anymore))...

to reply on your earlier post:  the firewall needs to have several ports opened before you can remote install the client. see the manual for the ports that are needed....

so you have the client installed "succesfully" now?
try this:
go to the services and put the avast services on manual (meaning you dont have protection at the moment you boot)
reboot the server
see if it boots normally, if it does then go to the services again and see if you can start the services manually

what kind of account is the account you use for installing?? administrator?

has there been anything in the logs from the AMS server which had error notifications?

you sure that the mirror on the AMS server is good, not missing any files i mean....

download the netclient from the website and install that one to see if it works:
http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setup_av_net_full.exe  (contains all languages, also dutch)
http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setup_av_net.exe (english only)

misja.geuskens

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 10:27:10 AM »
The problem seemed to be caused by a virus present on the system. Using a MSI generated Avast install and after a boot-time scheduled scan (which removed the virus) the server started up fine. Problem solved