Author Topic: Problem: On one of my machines, AUTO updates/pushes aren't being recieved.  (Read 9339 times)

Kobra

Ok, heres a weird problem.  2 Trial copies of Avast-Pro installed on two machines here sitting next to each other.  One of the machines gets the pushes and updates fine, the other one doesn't.

The only major difference on my main machine is i've uninstalled/reinstalled Avast a couple times, and spent more time tweaking.  However, i've verified all settings are on "Automatic" for updates and everything it set correctly.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 07:21:37 PM by Kobra »

Kobra

Re:Problem: On one of my machines, updates are being pushed.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 07:20:53 PM »
I just noticed, the registration key (60 Day trial) is identical on both machines, is this normal?  Would that cause this odd behavior?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:Problem: On one of my machines, updates are being pushed.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 07:22:01 PM »
After each uninstall use avast! Uninstall Utility to remove possible remaining reg entries or files. Get my avast! External Control if you are testing alot. It might come in handy since it can change hidden settings and manipulate with avast! in many ways + it has integrated avast! Uninstall Utility.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Kobra

I did that...  I was testing various things, and uninstalled it twice, and reinstalled, and used the Avast removal tool each time.

One machine is recieving the pushes, the other isn't.  This seems to me that theres a bug somewhere, as every single setting pertaining to updates, is identical on both machines.  ???

The only thing I notice, is the registration key for each machine, is identical, are all 60 day trial keys the same or something or?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
I think its normal to have 60 days on both. You probably installed them seperately right? About updates... are these two computer in LAN network or connected together in any way? Proxy/router/firewall maybe?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
What happens if you invoke manual update on that machine?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Kobra

Two computers, not networked together, but connected to the same Firewall/Router.  If I think where you are leading with this, I was thinking the same thing.  The pushes are pushed out based on serial number, and it comes into my router/network, sees TWO copies with the same serial number, and just pushes it to whichever one it gets to first, and disregards the other one.

Sound about right?  That could be an issue, especially for a guy like me, that wants to test it on two seperate boxes under different conditions.

Kobra

What happens if you invoke manual update on that machine?

If I manually invoke update, it updates just fine.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Maybe it's obvious, but still... the PUSH updates are invoked through a special e-mail. Do both the machines receive the same e-mails? I mean, if both the machines shared the same e-mail account and were deleting the e-mails on receiving... only one of them would probably get the important one.

Kobra

Maybe it's obvious, but still... the PUSH updates are invoked through a special e-mail. Do both the machines receive the same e-mails? I mean, if both the machines shared the same e-mail account and were deleting the e-mails on receiving... only one of them would probably get the important one.

I must be wrong  about Push then, because I never "Registered" to be pushed.  I guess i'm just referring to auto updates.  Can it get anymore confusing?

NEITHER machine is setup for anything other than "Auto Updates" and thats set automatically.  No SMTP settings are present in the machine thats getting updates whatsoever.

So let me clarify, this is nothing to do with Push, but auto updates, which one machine recieves and the other doesn't.  I'm guessing it could be related to both using the same "Key" for their versions or something?  Is there any way to schedule my own update checking with each machine so I don't have to be worried about missing updates daily?  Like in AVK for example, I can just set it to check for updates every hour, or 2 times a day or anything I want. So simple, so effective.  :-\

Any ideas? This is the third day in a row the main machine isn't getting updates, while the secondary machine testing the product IS, and its starting to wear thin on me.  :(
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 09:44:42 PM by Kobra »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
Just uncheck the Push checkmark in Update settings. You know where they are right? This will set the updating as its in Home Edition. But you can do this only on one machine,since the other will still update through PUSH.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 09:51:44 PM by RejZoR »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Checking the PUSH checkbox shouldn't influence the ordinary update check anyhow; it just affects checking for the special e-mails... so, if not registred, is shouldn't have any effect.
The serial number shouldn't have any effect either (especially for the demo keys - they are mostly the same).

Is the configuration of the Updates (Connection) the same on all the machines? Or rather, is the connection correctly set?

In the Professional version, you can use the Scheduler to start the update whenever you want (just select Update as the task to be used).

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Just uncheck the Push checkmark in Update settings. You know where they are right? This will set the updating as its in Home Edition. But you can do this only on one machine,since the other will still update through PUSH.

That's unnecessary. Unless a PUSH mail is received, this setting has no effect...

What you should do is:
1. set the 'Machine is permanently connected to the Internet' check box in Settings -> Updating (Connections)

2. check out the updating log -- <avast>\setup\setup.log

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Kobra

That's unnecessary. Unless a PUSH mail is received, this setting has no effect...

What you should do is:
1. set the 'Machine is permanently connected to the Internet' check box in Settings -> Updating (Connections)

2. check out the updating log -- <avast>\setup\setup.log

Vlk

I did all of that, the settings are identical for both machines, Push isn't active, and never has been active, on either machine.  Like I said, everything on both machines, is 100% identical in settings, both are on the same network, both can connect fine with manual update and all.

Last resort, I just uninstalled everything on that machine, and will reinstall after I test something else tonight not related to Avast.  On a side note as well, I tried the "Brute Force" uninstall in the Avast External Controls program, and it failed to uninstall everything, leaving some registry lines, and the program listed still in add/remove.  Anyway, I got it out using the Avast supplied remover.  Swept the registry with 4 seperate reg cleaners, rebooted, and it seems mostly gone, despite me STILL finding entries in the registry via reg-edit.  /sigh

Hopefully a totally fresh reinstall rebuild when I get around to it, will fix this update error, as its debillitating to me on my main box having to manually do that daily.  Grr

Kobra

Oh ya, on automatic how often does it check to see if theres a new version?