Author Topic: What cloud antivirus to use?  (Read 20621 times)

rdmaloyjr

Re: What cloud antivirus to use?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 11:56:01 PM »
you're prompted to uninstall Avast in the end of the panda setup, otherwise no install, so I skipped it. There might be a way to trick it  ???

Maybe if you uninstall avast!, install Panda Cloud av, then reinstall avast!.

I have a free subscription to Panda Internet Security 2010.  It includes Panda Cloud av.  I tried it for a few days, I didn't like it.

I'll stay with avast!.  I'm running Immunet with avast! for a while, maybe indefinite.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 12:35:20 AM »
Hi rdmaloyjr,

Yea, ImmunetProtect and avast and ThreatFire are a very fine combination. I thorougly tested ImmunetProtect and it is a great addition to my layered protection, it won;t leave my computer now...

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 03:54:23 AM »
The first time I used it I was wondering where the update were but there isn't any updater in it!
Then I think I was useless and I removed it!

Sesame

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 12:32:26 PM »
Panda's approach is rather admirable in order to let the end-users conscious of possible conflicts between resident scanners.  However, as an introduction of the new approach such as cloud, I think the way of ImmunetProtect is more assuring especially when they get nearly useless when they are not connected to the net.

jisuna23

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 01:12:45 PM »
Hello, i was wondering if downloading the Windows Vista Home Premium (Service pack 2) takes a long time?
my internet connection is only 1.5 mbps and i think this speed is very slow.
I'm asking this coz Immunet Protect needs service pack 2 as one of its requirements.
Or do you know any another alternative or tip so I can download and install it without installing the service pack 2.
Pls hep Thanks!  ;D

Hermite15

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 01:17:41 PM »
if you need Vista SP2 either download it directly or let Windows Update take care of it. In either case if you got a slow connection, you will have to leave your system on all night, but that's just once. So no big deal.

ps: IIRC it's about 300 MB, not sure exactly.

edit: 348,3 exactly  ;)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a4dd31d5-f907-4406-9012-a5c3199ea2b3&displaylang=en
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:19:36 PM by Logos »

jisuna23

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 03:07:22 PM »
if you need Vista SP2 either download it directly or let Windows Update take care of it. In either case if you got a slow connection, you will have to leave your system on all night, but that's just once. So no big deal.

ps: IIRC it's about 300 MB, not sure exactly.

edit: 348,3 exactly  ;)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a4dd31d5-f907-4406-9012-a5c3199ea2b3&displaylang=en
oh, i think i can download it for maybe 1-2 hrs or 3.
maybe i'll do it this weekend..  ;D

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 04:08:21 PM »
Hi ~Graven,

Another possibility is to get the download from a point where you have fast access to the Net and take it home on a USB-stick and install it onto your OS from there.
In the old days where people had slow modems there were computer magazines with CD's that had these essential downloads on them,

pol
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

CharleyO

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 09:49:05 PM »

In the USA, Maximum PC magazine (as well as a few others) still includes such CD's with their magazines ... though I have not seen any Windows updates included on the CD's in the past year or so.

But, I do not subscribe to all of them so there may be one or 2 that do have Windows updates on their CD's.

Also, there are at least a couple of British pc magazines that include CD's but I do not recall the names at the moment.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 09:51:09 PM by CharleyO »

Sesame

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2009, 05:46:02 AM »
Browsing forum, I noticed that Pondus posted a relatively new anti-virus comparison here.  Interestingly, the comparison includes some cloud type antivirus products.
Project #1 of the MRG Ongoing Early Life Testing Project
Project #2 of the MRG Ongoing Early Life Testing Project

I don't know the reliability of the data but, while the first test didn't reveal much difference, in the second one, there is a significant difference in which Immunet Protect recorded a considerably bad result with a note.

The cloud based Anti-Malware products:

• Bluepoint Security 1.0.0.75 = 0
• Panda cloud Beta 3 = 7
• Prevx 3.0.5.10 = 8
• Immunet Protect Beta 1.0.18 = 42*

* = Please note, we have discovered an occasional fault with Immunet Protect, which can result in a reduced detection rate. On one of the test runs, Immunet missed 9. We have discussed this with the vendor and point out that this result is not representative of the products usual performance.

So, I guess it should be noted that Immuned Protect is still in beta stage and that it shouldn't be relied on to much.  It's nice for the application to be compatible with other "traditional" anti-virus products.

jisuna23

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2009, 05:49:27 AM »
Hi ~Graven,

Another possibility is to get the download from a point where you have fast access to the Net and take it home on a USB-stick and install it onto your OS from there.
In the old days where people had slow modems there were computer magazines with CD's that had these essential downloads on them,

pol
But does installing it also takes a long time too?
~Thanks  ;D

pete319

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2009, 09:58:51 AM »
Hi
I am thinking about installing Immunet Protect . just a couple of questions.

If you look in my signature, you will see the system i am using is not very powerful.
Also i connect to the internet by broadband at 256kb's.

Would my old system be okay and with being connected at the lower end of broad band, would Immunet Protect significantly slow down the internet connection.

pete

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2009, 10:02:03 AM »
I think it will scan the page also but the internet is speed will not slow down but the page display may slow down a bit!

pete319

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2009, 10:10:25 AM »
Thanks shiw liang  ;)

That is good to know, will do some more checking out and most likely install tomorrow.

pete

YoKenny

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2009, 10:48:56 AM »
@pete319

Let me know how you make out with Immunet Protect on XP as I could not get it to run on my XP Pro system and it would cause the system to hang.