Author Topic: a-squared Anti-Malware with avast home  (Read 15641 times)

Defence

a-squared Anti-Malware with avast home
« on: November 11, 2009, 03:47:32 PM »
if ı use a-squared Anti-Malware with avast home, this will damage the avast software?

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: a-squared Anti-Malware with avast home
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 04:07:45 PM »
Generally not, but a-squared has in the past seen a high number of FPs and I think there are better anti-spy/malware programs out there.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Defence

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 04:15:11 PM »
Generally not, but a-squared has in the past seen a high number of FPs and I think there are better anti-spy/malware programs out there.

Ok, a-squared Anti-Malware provide antivirüs [Comprehensive PC protection against trojans, viruses, spyware, adware, worms, bots, keyloggers, rootkits and dialers.] protection, it creates a conflict?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 06:02:05 PM »
Yes, that is the marketing blurb and what I have said comes from anecdotal information form these forums. The same is correct of there generally no problem/conflict, the same with MBAM or SAS that offer similar levels of protection.

So I have given you what I'm aware of, the choice is yours to try and find out first hand.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mike Buxton

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 06:29:56 PM »
Hi,

On this occasion DavidRś opinion, is not his own, but based upon the hearsay of others.

Emsi has the highest detection rates in many recent independent tests and a-squared Anti-Malware is the paid product which includes the Ikarus AV engine.

For the paranoid, any number of on-demand scanners may be used including a-squared Free.

Have a look on the Emsi site if you wish to see details of known conflicts with their products.

I use Avast Home and a-squared Free and between them I see about one FP every six months  - of course other users may see many more - but they are easily reported and usually fixed within 24 hours.

I expect Avast 5 to be a huge success but I do not like to read unjustified criticism of any competitor program.

My regards

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 07:38:39 PM »
I do not like to read unjustified criticism of any competitor program.
My personal opinion and experience: a-squared gave false positives, remove registry keys that could not restore back, messed my computer that I have to restore a full partition backup. Too intrusive, too ad-push imho, again, imho.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 07:45:24 PM »
I do not like to read unjustified criticism of any competitor program.
My personal opinion and experience: a-squared gave false positives, remove registry keys that could not restore back, messed my computer that I have to restore a full partition backup. Too intrusive, too ad-push imho, again, imho.

Agreed Tech, I had the same problems, Which is why I stopped using it.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Mike Buxton

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 09:57:16 PM »
Hi,

Tech, I have read many of your posts, but I can only recall one instance when you were actually humble.

I googled ad-push to no avail. I assume you mean Emsi have been known to advertise their products (as I read Avast have), but you always do that in your signature and you have even been known to implore individual members to use that product.

You were most wise to be able to restore, but devil-may-care and otherwise foolish to delete or even quarantine without investigation. Investigation must be the watchword with any such program (even Avast) and a-squared did not automatically delete or quarantine anything - you did that.

DavidR, if I have understood properly you run Avast on-demand scans weekly, but with its on access protection that seems unnecessary (apart from any context menu type scan on one or two special purpose folders). If I were to do a wide range weekly scan I would use a-squared Free (unintrusively).

Avast Home is free and prevention is obviously better than detection or cure. With Emsi the detection rate is probably unbettered, but you would have to pay for that same level of prevention.

I suggest those of you with broadband may wish to clear your harmless cookies with CCleaner, or whatever, download http://download1.emsisoft.com/a2usb.zip, then unzip it (to your hard drive or USB stick - it will make no registry entries and all files can be deleted as and when desired). Then run a2free.exe as extensively as you please. There is no need delete or quarantine anything; you can just check. Then save the short report and perhaps post it here or in the Emsi Forum (with or without prior investigation of any flag except possibly to see if there is any identical item whitelisted or detected using Avast).

My regards

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 10:07:25 PM »
download http://download1.emsisoft.com/a2usb.zip,
65MB download that comes down at a snails pace  ???

I'll stay with avast!, CCleaner and MBAM.

Mike Buxton

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 10:26:03 PM »
Hi YoKenny,

My broadband is pretty slow but 6 times faster than yours so if you are in the backwoods and/or miles away from a telephone exchange with no realistic opportunity to upgrade your broadband connection that is unfortunate.

However, you spend a lot of time writing here and in any event you could download while you eat, sleep or whatever.

My regards

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 10:54:40 PM »
<snip>
DavidR, if I have understood properly you run Avast on-demand scans weekly, but with its on access protection that seems unnecessary (apart from any context menu type scan on one or two special purpose folders). If I were to do a wide range weekly scan I would use a-squared Free (unintrusively).
<snip>

I do a regular weekly system maintenance and during that I include on-demand scans of avast, MBAM and SAS (even though I also have the Pro version), in all this takes about 10 minutes. My system is I would say highly unlikely to get infected, but it doesn't stop me taking measures to ensure that it stays that way or at leas I get to find out.

As I said in another topic, the value of the on-demand scan in avast with its resident protection is lessoned. However, that said, during the interval between on-demand scans you receive VPS updates that haven't been run against your system as it is. So there may be occasions where the on-demand scan will alert, as has been reported in the forums in the past.

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 11:19:26 PM »
Hi YoKenny,

My broadband is pretty slow but 6 times faster than yours so if you are in the backwoods and/or miles away from a telephone exchange with no realistic opportunity to upgrade your broadband connection that is unfortunate.

However, you spend a lot of time writing here and in any event you could download while you eat, sleep or whatever.

My regards
I'm hardly in the backwoods and the telephone exchange is quite close by so I'll let it dribble down while I read what's hapening over at Malwarebytes forum as I am quite interested in the upcoming 1.42 update.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 11:44:21 PM »
Which is Better? Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware Versus A-squared Free Part 1
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/53169.aspx

Which is Better? Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware Versus. A-squared Free Part 2
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/53170.aspx

Mike Buxton

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 12:01:06 AM »
Hi DavidR,

I certainly agree that since all your scans take only 10 minutes, I would do likewise. I also seem to recall that you do not have broadband so I would not recommend a-squared Free for your own use.

I would however be most interested to learn how deep and how wide your Avast scan is.
That is incredibly fast unless you have a particular strategy. In my case all my downloads are initially made to a folder named 1stBase so that it is easy to locate and I leave files there for months (even though many of them are copied or extracted elsewhere). I only ever do frequent on-demand context menu scans on that folder (with comprehensive Avast scans just twice a year).

I would also be interested to know how often (after updates) your Avast on-demand scans have detected anything it missed on first access.

Sometimes I used to do a pre-download check with Dr.Web Online and my downloader is set to open ClamWin for update and check after downloading. Neither of those programs have detection rates even close to a-squared and Avast, but it would be churlish of me to criticise useful free programs.

Not long ago, in another thread, we discussed Phishing Fraud and I really wish more computer users would take a lot more care. Whilst infections can and do create misery and total havoc (tested clones and backups can save the day), but phishing frauds are often as serious or more serious.

Hi YoKenny,

Then surely you can do better, but if not then there is little point in complaining.
Since you have a flare for finding articles, reports and snippets why not find and post any recent independent test reports that include a-squared, Avast and any other of your favourites.

Hi Pondus,

That was interesting and although it was a miniscule test it did seem to have objectivity.

My regards to all

Hi Pondus,

YoKenny

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 12:11:23 AM »
Which is Better? Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware Versus. A-squared Free Part 2
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/53170.aspx
Where I read
These are excellent products and, as they are free, there is no reason not get both!