Author Topic: pop.gmail.com timed out with Avast home turned on  (Read 4905 times)

vinnyavaster

pop.gmail.com timed out with Avast home turned on
« on: November 15, 2009, 03:56:44 AM »
I cannot access my gmail pop emails with avast home pro turned on. Once I turn it off, I can receive my gmail pop emails. I find this strange because on my desktop computer, it is fine. I just installed avast on my laptop computer.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I do not wish to gmail imap so that is not an option for me.

Sesame

Re: pop.gmail.com timed out with Avast home turned on
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 04:47:15 AM »
I cannot access my gmail pop emails with avast home pro turned on. Once I turn it off, I can receive my gmail pop emails. I find this strange because on my desktop computer, it is fine. I just installed avast on my laptop computer.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I do not wish to gmail imap so that is not an option for me.
Have you checked the firewall of your laptop, if you have any on it?

As for not using IMAP, I wonder if you really like it...using POP for two systems can devide your email messages to them.  I tried to set up POP for a laptop of one of my family members but, before going to far, I noticed it could cause problems.  At the same time, I couldn't but admit that the family member won't understand how IMAP works...  So, I gave it up and let the family member receive email from a single computer.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 05:02:05 PM »
GMail POP3 uses SSL protocol.  I don't think that Avast scans encrypted traffic.

Could SSL requirement block access when Avast Internet Mail is running?
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 05:31:17 PM »
GMail POP3 uses SSL protocol.  I don't think that Avast scans encrypted traffic.
correct for Avast 4.8 but i think V5 will

turn of mail scan. Google have already scaned it on there mailserver with McAfee and Authentium

Sesame

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 06:27:04 PM »
GMail POP3 uses SSL protocol.  I don't think that Avast scans encrypted traffic.
Come to think about it, it's definitely strange...since neither Avast ! 4 or 5 can scan secure connections, Avast! shouldn't be interfering with the connections.

GMail POP3 uses SSL protocol.  I don't think that Avast scans encrypted traffic.
Even Avast! 5 cannot scan secure connection...it simply has a local proxy server which sits between the mail client and servers.  At the moment, we are prompted to put the connection to non-secure one when Avast! 5 finds a mail client is using secure connection with servers.  It's odd for the original poster to be able to receive email when he/she turns off Avast! since it must mean the mail client is using non-secure connection with Gmail...  He/she needs to reconfigure the mail client in order for it to receive secure connection again.  On the other hand, if the mail client is using secure connection in the first place, the traffic shouldn't be interfered by Avast!, at all.  ???  Is he/she using Outlook plugin?

What is your mail client, vinnyavaster?  Are you using Avast! 4.8?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 06:29:02 PM by Rumpel »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 11:28:08 PM »

turn of mail scan. Google have already scanned it on there mailserver with McAfee and Authentium

I use Pegasus Mail, and after installing Avast I turned off the Avast Internet Mail scanning.  But I seem to remember that there was a way to edit the POP3 settings to remove the Avast proxy from GMail's mail client settings, while allowing scanning of the messages downloaded from my ISP's servers which didn't use SSL connections.  Since Pegasus Mail doesn't run scripts, and the attachments must be written to the HD before opening, I'm not concerned.  The temporary file created when viewing/saving an attachment is always scanned.  If Avast doesn't find it then, it wouldn't find it when scanning the message as it was downloaded.

This may help some. http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-email-problems.html
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Sesame

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 02:05:40 AM »
I use Pegasus Mail, and after installing Avast I turned off the Avast Internet Mail scanning.  But I seem to remember that there was a way to edit the POP3 settings to remove the Avast proxy from GMail's mail client settings, while allowing scanning of the messages downloaded from my ISP's servers which didn't use SSL connections.  Since Pegasus Mail doesn't run scripts, and the attachments must be written to the HD before opening, I'm not concerned.  The temporary file created when viewing/saving an attachment is always scanned.  If Avast doesn't find it then, it wouldn't find it when scanning the message as it was downloaded.

This may help some. http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-email-problems.html
As I have written, since Avast! 4 cannot scan secure traffic, it won't interfere with Gmail messages.  Even for non-secure traffic, the FAQ is rather old since it's written for Win 95/98/ME, where Avast! cannot use transparent proxy.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 10:33:39 PM »
Vinnyavaster didn't state which OS he was running.  If he is running Win9X, the proxy settings may be a factor, but he should know if he set them up.

As you indicate, the new Windows use a transparent Avast! proxy.  If he is on a newer OS, then it is really a puzzler.  Removing Avast! scanning removes his problem, but shouldn't. ???

Sesame

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 10:43:12 PM »
Vinnyavaster didn't state which OS he was running.  If he is running Win9X, the proxy settings may be a factor, but he should know if he set them up.

As you indicate, the new Windows use a transparent Avast! proxy.  If he is on a newer OS, then it is really a puzzler.  Removing Avast! scanning removes his problem, but shouldn't. ???
Yes, this sums up this puzzling situation...  I guess we'd better wait till the original poster comes back, which is, if he/she does at all.  :P