Author Topic: Something is blocking my google search engine  (Read 23874 times)

dlane123

Re: Something is blocking my google search engine
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2009, 11:49:42 PM »
Success! 2  Deleted bad hosts blocking Google website 2 <continued>

6.  At L'arc suggestion, I hit Start-Run <Control Passwords2>  Located username and found nothing beside it.  I do have administer capability.
7.  At NMB suggestion.  I ran Microsoft's fix it tool.  http://go.microsoft.com/? linkid=9668866.  This was the last action I took and after a require reboot the problem and the offending hosts were gone.  I am not 100% sure this was the corrective action

I am not sure how I got into this situation.  I do run Avast continuously.  I am careful with contacts and don't run untrusted .exe programs.  Hopefully, after these actions, my computer is healthier and more robust.

Finally, I have to give out a shout out to DavidR, Yokenny, L'arc, Tech, NMB, others.  I really appreciate your help.  Hopefully, I can pass it forward.  Thanks Again, Dave Lane

YoKenny

Re: Something is blocking my google search engine
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 12:01:20 AM »
You can install a good HOSTS file with HostsMan and I choose to use hpHosts plus MVPS HOSTS files.

Use HostsServer as a browser proxy to speed up browser sessions and it can be set to auto start with Windows then Start Server then set Enable log and Log referrer in Preferences to see HOSTS file's effectiveness.