Author Topic: avast simple interface bug  (Read 15561 times)

rloschmann

avast simple interface bug
« on: June 11, 2004, 12:45:34 AM »
In simple interface there are pop ups when the mouse stops over a button. Unfortunately the pop ups (and also "tic" sounds) are still active when there are windows over the skined interface (see screen capture attached). I've noticed this behaviour since the begining (3 avast versions now, 4.1.412 here). Not really a "big" bug but annoying...   >:(

S.Z.Craftec

Re:avast simple interface bug
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 01:52:12 AM »
Yeah, and that's something that is not Alwil's fault. ActiveSkin's SkinBuilder is application used for skinning this antivirus... all those things are caused by SkinBuilder, although I'm not sure for those small popup windows... anyway, when I make skins, there is nothing I can change to avoid that behaviour. I can change color of the popup message background and text...

Maybe Martin Novak knows something I missed... Martin ?

Tipton

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 04:19:53 AM »
No offence at all to the skin creators, I know you are only as good as the tools you have to use. However, I have always found the skins to be buggy.....like waiting for a bomb to go off. They just do not seem very stable. Awhile back there was a thread about making a plain GUI much like what you would find in using XP. I would love to see the home version of Avast use something like the on access scanner GUI (see screeny). Its stable as can be, and easy to use. Just wanted to bring this up again as maybe something to think about for future program builds.

PS....I know thats easier said than done! :)

Douglas
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 04:27:20 AM by Tipton »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 04:38:26 AM »
Again, same theme... Windows current skin you can have if you use avast! Pro version (Enhanced User Interface)...

Tipton wrote:
However, I have always found the skins to be buggy.....like waiting for a bomb to go off. They just do not seem very stable.

I must interupt here with very good reason... no bugs inside skins at all. No skin in avast! skin download section can be uploaded if it hasn't passed all those tests... period.

Find me one bug (with my/human error) in any of those skins available for download and I'll fix it right away...

You see, you don't like skins, you want something plain, and still you don't use Windows classic or XP skin, you are using X-box variation skin...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 04:43:23 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Kobra

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 04:57:53 AM »
Frankly, I wish they've move the stuff on the basic interface to the right-click tray icon, then do away with the stinky basic interface, it serves no real purpose!

The product would be more professional with just a cleaned up, better organized Enhanced menu only.

Tipton

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 06:02:20 AM »

I must interupt here with very good reason... no bugs inside skins at all. No skin in avast! skin download section can be uploaded if it hasn't passed all those tests... period.

Find me one bug (with my/human error) in any of those skins available for download and I'll fix it right away...

You see, you don't like skins, you want something plain, and still you don't use Windows classic or XP skin, you are using X-box variation skin...

The original poster lists one bug in the skins. I guess you could call it the nature of the skin. Again I mean no dis-respect, I love the skins you produce, and use them.  I would just like a skinless AV. I may try the pro version for this.

I also have to agree with Kobra, I like the right click idea. 99% of the time, that is how I use Avast. I right click and scan files I download from the internet.

Keizer

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 09:39:09 AM »
Well, I wouldn't call it a problem of the skin, but rather of the skinning library.
In fact, I'm not sure if the problem isn't partly related to the Windows OS itself - the switching/loosing focus isn't sometimes completely correct.
What was the OS of the original post?

rloschmann

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 10:22:56 AM »
Igor, i'm using windows 2000 pro (french) service pack 4 and security patched.

S.Z.Craftec, i love your work and i'm sure the bug comes from either windows, SkinBuilder, or both. Anyway this bug is not critical and i will sure keep on apreciating your beautiful skins !!  ;D

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 12:08:33 PM »
Frankly, I wish they've move the stuff on the basic interface to the right-click tray icon, then do away with the stinky basic interface, it serves no real purpose!

You don't have a clue how much time it takes to make skin like those up there, right ? So that's why you think they are stinky... I'm not tellin those skins are perfect in graphical meaning, maybe they are not, but don't tell me they are unstable. They can not be more stable... no crashing, no color interference, no lost bitmaps, no non-working buttons, animations are perfectly sinchronized... just take a look what those more experienced users and older forum members think about everything.

Again, you can always buy Pro version if you wanna use simple user interface... how simple is that ?

LeDoc wrote:
S.Z.Craftec, i love your work and i'm sure the bug comes from either windows, SkinBuilder, or both. Anyway this bug is not critical and i will sure keep on apreciating your beautiful skins !!

Thanks my friend, I don't wanna force anyone to use those skins, I just don't like when they talk with so much disrespect and hate for skins... it's simple people, don't use them if you think they stinks !
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 07:21:54 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

rloschmann

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 01:53:29 PM »
And by the way, they can use your wonderful Flat'n'Simple skin wich mimics the classic windows UI.

http://files.avast.com/files/skins/flatnsimple_by_szcraftec.aswcs

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 03:00:41 PM »
And by the way, they can use your wonderful Flat'n'Simple skin wich mimics the classic windows UI.

http://files.avast.com/files/skins/flatnsimple_by_szcraftec.aswcs
Right at ususal Le Doc!  People Sasha spends hours on these skins. There is a skin for everyone. If not then like it was said here buy the pro version and be happy.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

rloschmann

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 03:24:52 PM »
Hey S.Z.Craftec, i also found a bug in your signature !!  :P

You have to replace "avast! HE" by "avast! PE" now !!  ;)

Or are you nostalgic ?  ;D

KezzerDrix

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004, 05:56:17 PM »
I appreciate your hard work and talent "Craftec"

You make my Anti-Virus a more fun and enjoyable program.  I love exploring them, some make me smile and others are very professional in their appearance.

No one HAS to use them it is not forced upon anyone.  It is a privledge that AVAST! gives us the Home Edition for free to begin with and for that I thank them and tell everyone I know about it.  Not only is this program incredible, it is also generously featured!  Making Avast! skinnable was no easy task and creating the skins themselves is a time consuming event.  

Thank you AVAST!
Thank you Craftec!

Keep up the great work, and know that most people appreciate your efforts!

Respectfully,
KezzerDrix

Kobra

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2004, 06:02:16 PM »
Yo.. Its nothing to do with the skins, its the interface.  I think the basic interface does a disservice to the product, its too simple, lacks features, and hides a really great product.  Last year I tried the free edition, and uninstalled it 10 minutes later because of the basic interface being totally a turnoff.  I've heard the same from tons of people.

I think the entire product should just have the enhanced menu, cleaned up/refined a good bit, and with the free edition, just grey out some options.

Its nothing to do with skins, how long they take, or how good/bad they are, and i'm confused at how you managed to read that from me post.  ::)

You don't have a clue how much time it takes to make skin like those up there, right ? So that's why you think they are stinky... just take a look what those more experienced users and older forum members than you think about everything.

Again, buy Pro versio if you wanna use simple user interface... how simple is that ?

LeDoc wrote:
S.Z.Craftec, i love your work and i'm sure the bug comes from either windows, SkinBuilder, or both. Anyway this bug is not critical and i will sure keep on apreciating your beautiful skins !!

Thanks my friend, I don't wanna force anyone to use those skins, I just don't like when they talk with so much disrespect and hate for skins... it's simple people, don't use them if you think they stinks !

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2004, 06:04:41 PM »
You see. It's a matter of taste. Me myself actually prefer the simple UI. Can do what I want much faster than the enhanced UI..
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.