Author Topic: avast simple interface bug  (Read 15566 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:avast simple interface bug
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2004, 06:11:29 PM »
I think the same. I use Enhanced one just to configure tasks. Simple GUI is much faster to set for a,lets say full disk scan.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

techie101

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2004, 06:38:53 PM »
As VLK has said.....simple is better in general.
We would have more people complaining that they could not use Avast because the interface was to difficult to get around on.

A basic program deserves a basic interface for easy of functionality and a smooth learning curve.

You want complex, then buy PRO and then you can configure, change and move things around the way you want.

Techie

Kobra

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2004, 07:32:14 PM »
You see. It's a matter of taste. Me myself actually prefer the simple UI. Can do what I want much faster than the enhanced UI..

EXACTLY why I said you need to revamp the enhanced interface, BADLY.. I want those options and tweaks, but they need to be easier to get to.    Theres absolutely no rhyme, logic or reason behind how it operates, and settings are buried, or well hidden. Basically, I think you guys need to take some time aside, and come out with a killer version for 4.5 with a better interface.  I *LOVE* the features the product has, but the way its all layed out, makes someones head spin unless they spend time learning it, and even then, how many people don't bother?

Modules here, modules there, settings here, settings there.  Tweaks here, tweaks there, options not on here unless you turn them on there.  Details off, details on.  

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2004, 07:34:29 PM »
Hey S.Z.Craftec, i also found a bug in your signature !!  :P

You have to replace "avast! HE" by "avast! PE" now !!  ;)

Or are you nostalgic ?  ;D

Hahahahahahaha... you made my day... oh my... that's a real bug, and I really mean it. I spent so much time on checking avast! skins and cleaning them to the perfection, that I forgot to look "in front of my nose"... hahaha...

I'm going to change it now my friend... oh, my God...
f.....g buggy signature !  ;D  ;D  ;D This is so great ! This forum makes me so happy and feel so alive ! Thanks guys for your support !

And... Tipton and Kobra... I'm not mad or pissed off, I just don't like when someone says my skins are buggy or unstable... maybe, they are not best looking in graphical terms, but don't say those are unstable... Sometimes, I need 6 hours to make skin works perfect... do you believe me that I need more than that sometimes to test all those functions. And I also have learned from my friend Vlk, don't publish them before we check them all million times if it's needed... like I said before - They can not be more stable... no crashing, no color interference, no lost bitmaps, no non-working buttons, animations are perfectly sinchronized... I don't know what I have to do to make you guys happy. Believe me, I want to make you happy... but, don't yell, you just need to ask... No hard feelings, stick around in these forums... your huge knowledge base is more important than these verbal fightings. We need you here and avast! users needs your help.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 07:37:45 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Kobra

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2004, 07:56:04 PM »
Once again, where did I comment on your skins?

Honestly, I don't care to be dragged into some argument with some wild dude.  I'm rather offended that you are insinuating something I never even said to begin with FFS!

Let me say this one last time:  When did I ever comment on *ANY* of your skins?  I don't use skins, I don't like skins, and i've never have used skins, and never will - so I find it unlikely i'd make a comment on a skin I never used.  Don't you think?    Re-read my posts, this time more slowly, and note closely, that i'm talking about the INTERFACE, not skins..   ::)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 08:02:21 PM by Kobra »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2004, 08:11:22 PM »
Oh boy, you are really quick in changing this post... first I've read something insulting from your side, and now, there is nothing that will point to that... it's ok, I'm calm, it looks like you're the one that needs to calm down...

Yeah, I have my forum friend's support (that's something from your first version of your reply), and that makes me very happy. Everobody should have friends like this... I'm here so loooong time, so they know me very good and how much time I spend on these skins... don't forget my friend, I made them for free, no one forced me to do that. On the other hand I've got rewarded, Alwil recognized my work and they gave me Pro version for free... how nice is that ?

Maybe you're right, and I'm sorry if I misread your particular post, but why are you so angry when someone mention skins ?
I don't use skins, I don't like skins, and i've never have used skins, and never will
I am not, and I'm gonna make them every single day if users ask me...

Maybe you didn't say anything against skins in this thread, but be real... see this thread ?

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=5108;start=0#msg37324

This is what you said in there:
4) Ditch the unprofessional basic interface.  My clients see it, and go "Huh? Is this a funky MP3 player or something?"...  Might I suggest removing the whole skin module system from the product to increase its professionalism, and perhaps leave that stuff in the freebie/newb edition only?  Or how about a commercial oriented version or something?

I have advice for your clients... tell them to buy Pro version and then they can use Enhanced user interface totaly skin free. Then they can enjoy antivirus program and they won't be annoyed by some "mp3 player looking skins" anymore. Problem solved, everybody happy... I don't know what else to say... and yes, I don't think Alwil will remove skin module from their product. Why ? 'cause it's not like it is a must. No one force anyone to use skins. You can always use avast! default skin made by Alwil's guy Martin without changing skins. But we all should respect their effort to make this product more interesting than just some stupid plain window. If they made avast! looking like those windows in Windows 3.11, I'm sure, I'm 100% sure, there would be million of users complaining that avast! looks so stupid, poor and cheap without any GUI... million people, million different thoughts... can't please them all !
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 04:13:10 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

shgoh

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2004, 04:41:04 AM »
yes...we should appreciate the hard work of sasha...he had put in some much time & effort for avast skins and best of all he doesn't expect anything in return...he did it for his LOVE for avast...and i admire his commitment in design work...recently sasha got some rewards from alwil..it's really nice of them to reward him...but again...sasha does not expect it...he didn't do really want anything in return...but then he TRULY deserved it...AND people shouldn't criticise or has any complains here even if they don't like his work (i really don't understand why)...keep it to themselves!

as for kobra...if you happen to hate anything about the avast interface or skins...you can always choose to go without it ;)..as you should know...skinning is an ADDITIONAL option :)...many people in the past has already agreed that this is a personal preferences thing...and i think skinning is really suitable for unprofessional people like me ;D...like sasha's suggestion...go for the pro version which is totally skin-free...professional look...enhanced features...or if you alright with the simple interface and you have got the time...why don't you try to make a skin which you think it's professional for avast simple interface?...and many others can benefit from it ;)

Yo.. Its nothing to do with the skins, its the interface.  I think the basic interface does a disservice to the product, its too simple, lacks features, and hides a really great product.  Last year I tried the free edition, and uninstalled it 10 minutes later because of the basic interface being totally a turnoff.  I've heard the same from tons of people.

please remember one thing...avast is not only for software/PC experts or professionals....it's also for PC illiterate people like me who prefer simple features only ;)

i'm not biased or anything....or defending sasha....i'm just trying to be fair...and talk some sense... :)

CharleyO

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2004, 05:03:52 AM »

I agree with what SHGOH has said above 100%.    :)  

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2004, 05:12:49 AM »
talk some sense... :)

I feel like shgoh: when you talk too much, you talk non-sense  :-*
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2004, 05:20:42 AM »
Yo.. Its nothing to do with the skins, its the interface.  I think the basic interface does a disservice to the product, its too simple, lacks features, and hides a really great product.  Last year I tried the free edition, and uninstalled it 10 minutes later because of the basic interface being totally a turnoff.  I've heard the same from tons of people.

It's not fare!  :(
For me, the Simple UI is tons of better looking that the Enhanced. But I agree, the Enhanced, of course, has more features and a easy setup...

I know it's a matter of opinion. But I learn that in this forum you can say your opinions without hurting each other, can't you?  8)

shgoh

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2004, 06:27:59 AM »

really nonsense?...hmm...okay :P

I agree with what SHGOH has said above 100%.    :)  

« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 06:28:34 AM by shgoh »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2004, 01:19:34 PM »

No shgoh my friend, Technical didn't mean you are talking nonsence... no chance he meant that... I'll give my hand in fire if it's true... what he meant is:

Sometimes it's better not to talk, than talk to much (everybody in general, not particular person, not you for sure my friend). Sometimes if we try to explain something, and we talk to much, we can just make it worse. Just like I'm doing right now... so I think I should better stop now, hehe  ;D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 01:20:16 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2004, 04:39:15 AM »

No shgoh my friend, Technical didn't mean you are talking nonsence... no chance he meant that... I'll give my hand in fire if it's true... what he meant is:

Sometimes it's better not to talk, than talk to much (everybody in general, not particular person, not you for sure my friend). Sometimes if we try to explain something, and we talk to much, we can just make it worse. Just like I'm doing right now... so I think I should better stop now, hehe  ;D

Shgoh, I do not need a layer with Sasha arround me  ;D
Sorry for the misunderstandings. Sasha caught my feelings  ;)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2004, 12:41:09 PM »
Lawyer ? No way.. it's a big difference between friend's help and lawyer... I just tried to explain to my friend shgoh, that you didn't want to offend him in any way...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 01:39:05 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2004, 01:57:49 PM »
Lawyer ? No way.. it's a big difference between friend's help and lawyer... I just tried to explain to my friend shgoh, that you didn't want to offend him in any way...

Sometimes, very rare, layers deffend you...  ;D