Author Topic: After losing my connections and having to reload programs that tech uninstalled  (Read 2456 times)

BigVal

I stupidly clicked on an update which destroyed my internet connections and Avast. The tech took it away for 4 days and had to do a lot of work as he left me piles of files of new bits in my documents now transferred over to my computer so they stayed safe from me!
Anyway he  took off Avast and loaded AVG as well as taking off SAS Pro Spyware Blaster and putting on spybot saying my programs were not good!

Anyway have got them all back - Avast is running well and I have this one query.

After scan - it came up with this.
C:\doc&sett\allusers\...\sbrecovery.reg - unable to scan
C:\doc&sett\allusers\....\sbrecovery.ini - unable to scan
C:\windows\...\tvbug_2009-02-04-15-45-53.log unable to scan

When I clicked on to these gave me options and I chose move to chest thinking that =safe in there but still working if needed - as I dont have a clue what I am doing!
Got error occurredmoving file on all three.

???

BTW do not know what infected my computer as tech said too many to know - but I lost my dial up ADSL and the connect on start and Avast wouldnt load saying library failed to inialize. The other thing that came up was Newdev.dll with a ! in yellow on it - hunted for this and found it in 1386 so may be a driver?

Bear with me am self taught by mistakes and forum help which I appreciate.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
If you haven't a clue what you are doing it might have been better to seek advice first.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

If you can give some examples of those file names, the locations and reason given why it can't be scanned might help us further ?

The first two are for Spybot Search & Destroy and is protecting its recovery data.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

BigVal

Thanks for that.

CharleyO

The 3rd one could be related to the Toronto Visual Basic User Group in Canada. It seems they also produce some games in VB. See the below google search for more information.

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=tvbug&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security