Author Topic: Avast Icon In Tray  (Read 3943 times)

Willy29

Avast Icon In Tray
« on: November 16, 2009, 02:29:54 PM »
I briefly tried MSE because I like to try out new programs, but did not like its delayed updates, so I decided to come back to my and reliable friend Avast. Everything seems to be normal except seeing the familiar blue globe down there in the tray is missing, as is the one with the "I". When you click on that globe in the tray it shows the various elements of resident protection. I do have the Avast Icon on the desktop, but pressing "Menu" there doesn't show any way to regain the tray icon. I have to assume the protection is active as it has updated a few times and the program shows up in the Control Panel, Belarc Advisor, and Win Patrol.

I had Avast previously on this computer, but this installation seem different, as most of it seemed to come within an Avast update of approximately 31 MB. The first file that seem to come for the download was on the order of 300 KB (Avast Home Setup) that went to MS Download Manager. Perhaps this provided the framework for the big update (setupeng.exe)? to download into. I went to the Control Panel and tried to do the "Repair" option but nothing seemed to work. I downloaded this from the Downloads.com site, or whatever it is called instead of going to the Avast website. Is there a way to fix this, or should I just download again and reinstall. I did tick the checkbox in settings to allow the icon in the tray. Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 02:41:08 PM by Willy29 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Icon In Tray
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 03:04:56 PM »
The 300KB file is an on-line installation setup file, which Personally I feel is wrong.

Do a clean install using the full 38MB setupeng.exe file so it can be installed off-line as there are no end of errors in the forums where the on-line installation fails.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall. Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the English version and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do). - Direct download for avast Home, English version, http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Willy29

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 08:30:43 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I'll get to it this afternoon and see how things go.   ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 09:54:54 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Willy29

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 01:59:03 PM »
Well, downloaded and installed the full version last night, having previously used the removal tool first. It appears that the program automatically updated for several minutes because I could not get the manual update to start. OA firewall status screen showed a connection to Avast, and Task Manager showed some download activity the Networking tab. I never got the vocal message from the "dude" that the program had indeed been updated. I also did a scan with nothing showing up.

But the icon in the tray is still missing. I don't mind as long as the AV program is functional, but feel more comfortable with the little blue globe spinning around. The VDRB database has not yet shown any activity. Any other way to get the icons up and working, or should I just ignore it and wait for Avast 5?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 02:01:33 PM by Willy29 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 03:22:41 PM »
The most common cause of the missing icon is another security program and why I would suggest checking OA if it has a startup blocking function. Did you put OA into learning mode before reinstalling avast ?

Did you fully uninstall MSE before installing avast ?

- avast! icon missing - As a temporary measure until this is resolved you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut). You will need to run this after each boot until the problem is resolved.

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

Check the option in the Appearance tab of Program Settings.

Or Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder. I wouldn't try this as a first option (but a final one) as you won't be able to find the true cause of the problem.