Author Topic: Set time for Database Update?  (Read 2481 times)

whymelani

Set time for Database Update?
« on: November 17, 2009, 03:00:49 PM »
I have avast 4 home installed on my husband's computer.  The lovely Blue Box that announces "the virus database has been updated" pops up in the afternoon.  I also have it installed on my computer, however, the Blue Box pops up when the computer is booted up.  It makes for a pretty slow boot.  Is there a way to set the time the Virus Database updates?

M~

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Set time for Database Update?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 04:10:03 PM »
No, but the check can be delayed.

You don't say what your connection method is, presumably broadband, but here are both:

You need to edit (using notepad) the [InetWD] section of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\avast4.ini file and add the following line (depending on your connection type):

Broadband connections, add this line:
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120 and
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1 if not present (or edit AssumeAlwaysConnected=0 to AssumeAlwaysConnected=1)
[InetWD]
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120
When complete save the changes, avast's self-defence module will ask for confirmation, etc. answer Yes.

The figure is seconds and the above equates to two minutes, you could try that and adjust upwards if required, 180, 240, etc.

Dial-up connections, add this line:
RASWaitSeconds=600 and
UseRAS=1 if not present (or edit UseRAS=0 to UseRAS=1)
[InetWD]
UseRAS=1
RASWaitSeconds=600
When complete save the changes, avast's self-defence module will ask for confirmation, etc. answer Yes.

Note the higher delay as I'm on dial-up and like to be able to quickly go on-line and collect email, etc. and log off without initiating the update check.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

whymelani

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 11:30:25 PM »
Thank you for your response.  Sorry I neglected to list the required elements; connected by broadband.

I have made to changes you suggested.  Hopefully, tomorrow morning when I boot up my computer the little sliding Blue Box will not pop up.

M~

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 11:36:10 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security