Author Topic: my first viruses  (Read 3008 times)

dld

my first viruses
« on: June 11, 2004, 05:12:06 PM »
I am new to Avast and to this forum.  Yesterday I downloaded avast! 4 Home, build 4.1.412.  My database is 0424-2,06/09.  I have been using Avast for only about 2 weeks now.  The new version detected two viruses on my C: drive.
Virus Name: Win32:Kuang 2
File Name: C: Windows\System 32\ActiveScan\imscan.dll
Virus Name: Win95:Matyas
File Name: C:\Windows\System 32\ActiveScan\puv.sig
A Panda Active Scan failed to detect either of these viruses.
I chose to put both viruses in the Chest.
My question is the following.  If I choose to delete the files, just what files would be deleted?  Is it the files containing the viruses, or is it the files imscan.dll and puv.sig?  If it is the latter, then what effect would deletion of these files have on my computer?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 05:25:53 PM by dld »

Gillie2tat

Re:my first viruses
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 05:17:24 PM »
I am sure Technical will be along shortly to explain this in more detail:) but you don't need to worry, these files are part of the Panda software, they are not properly encrypted by Panda and Avast picks them up as infected.  I just deleted them from the Chest when I had that and had no further problems.

If you look in the onsite FAQs there is information about this issue :)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 05:23:42 PM »
Argh this incompetent Panda programmers are giving me a headache. This problem is here for almost a year and they still haven't encrypted their stupid virus definitions. I don't blame Alwil guys because they don't exclude this from VPS detection. This is Pandas Software job not Alwil's ::)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

dld

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 05:36:06 PM »
Thanks for the prompt responses.  This tells me something about Panda which I did not know.  Any opinions on Trend Micro HouseCall?
You could say, why not just rely on Avast.  One always likes to do an additional scan in case of problems.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 05:54:07 PM »
You think correctly dld :)
I prefer HouseCall and Command On Demand on-line antivirus. Both very good and well know among users. CoD might not be as much as HouseCall,but it features a very strong scan engine with good heuristics. You can find it on my page under On-line Antivirus scan.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog