Author Topic: Resident task settings Scanner (Basic) and Scanner (Advanced) Risk vs Performanc  (Read 7086 times)

spg SCOTT

You are missing the point, and not reading the things I quoted from the help files. And taking my posts out of context...

The first setting says that ANY executed program is scanned, unchecking it, will scan NONE.

The second one is a preventative measure of sorts, this setting will as it says, scan ALL files created or modified...

Having the second one on and not the first, would in theory be an option, however what about files that are not created/modified?
Say from a flash drive or cd, they are executed (not modified/created) and therefore would not be scanned...leaving you prone to infection...

Definitive enough?

In the end, it boils down to user configurability, avast! is designed in a way so that it is as configurable as possible...so it is your choice...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:34:47 PM by spg SCOTT »

mavin

Hmm in that case, if you are absolutely sure, then Comodo looks like an interesting option with its Stateful Scanning Level, and another item to hit the Avast Wishlist I guess!

From the Comodo User Manual
Stateful - Not only is Comodo Internet Security one of the most thorough and effective AV solutions
available, it is also very fast. CIS employs a feature called Stateful File Inspection (tm) for real time virus
scanning to minimize the effects of on-access scanning on the system performance. Selecting the
‘Stateful’ option means CIS scans only files that have not been scanned since the last virus update -
greatly improving the speed, relevancy and effectiveness of the scanning.

DarkLegend

Hmm in that case, if you are absolutely sure, then Comodo looks like an interesting option with its Stateful Scanning Level,

I feel sorry for your computer then.

YoKenny

Hmm in that case, if you are absolutely sure, then Comodo looks like an interesting option with its Stateful Scanning Level,

I feel sorry for your computer then.
+1

spg SCOTT

Hmm in that case, if you are absolutely sure, then Comodo looks like an interesting option with its Stateful Scanning Level, and another item to hit the Avast Wishlist I guess!

Stateful - Not only is Comodo Internet Security one of the most thorough and effective AV solutions
available, it is also very fast. CIS employs a feature called Stateful File Inspection (tm) for real time virus
scanning to minimize the effects of on-access scanning on the system performance. Selecting the
‘Stateful’ option means CIS scans only files that have not been scanned since the last virus update -

Isn't that the same sorta thing that is being introduced into avast in version 5? Persistent scanning, or something like that?
Or have I misunderstood?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 02:29:41 AM by spg SCOTT »

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
-1 but just to add what is the point of stateful when they update every half hour. You loose more then you gain and in any case for the loss you might as well have every thing scanned on access.
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!

Isn't that the same sorta thing that is being introduced into avast in version 5? Persistent scanning, or something like that?
Yes it is but Persistent will mean in avast one you select it all safe files (or for that matter files you select) will not be scanned again ever.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 02:51:35 AM by patrice58 »
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,