Author Topic: License number not valid after Acronis partition restore  (Read 3105 times)

bnc1

License number not valid after Acronis partition restore
« on: November 24, 2009, 01:27:25 PM »
Greetings

I had a hard drive failure and had to restore my Vista x64 SP2 Ultimate partition to a new drive. I used Acronis True Image 2010 restoring a vhd backup image file created by Windows Vista backup. I could not get the native Vista image restore to work so I downloaded Acronis and used it successfully. So far the only problem I am having is with Avast. I am using the free Avast Home version 4.8.1356. At startup I am getting a new error "Avast license number is not valid". Very strange as the license number is valid and is working fine on a Windows 7 partition on the same PC. Unfortunately, I can't get access to Avast to reenter my license number. There is no blue orb in the notification area. The only Avast service that is running is Aswupdsv. The Ashserv service is set to start automatically as it should be. If I try to start it manually I get "Error 1053 the service did not respond to the start request" .  I checked my restored partition with CHKDSK and everything is OK. Avast was running just fine prior to the failure and subsequent restore. Every boot of Vista results in the same Avast license number error.

So my question is , is there anyway to get Avast up and running again without having to reinstall it ?

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: License number not valid after Acronis partition restore
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 01:34:33 PM »
Try repairing avast.

Repairing avast! ==========

1   Press Windows Key + R
2   Type in: appwiz.cpl
3   Select avast! antivirus and click Add/Remove
4   Scroll down to locate Repair
5   Click Next.. and follow the rest of the prompts
6   Once finished, restart and report back what happens after the repair
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 01:41:10 PM »
Start ashAvast.exe, for example, and enter the license key again.

bnc1

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
Start ashAvast.exe, for example, and enter the license key again.

Thank you Igor, ashAvast fixed my license problem.  :-*

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 03:38:21 PM »
This happens with a number of Drive Imaging software (it also happens with mine, not Acronis), why I don't know, but I can only guess the drives/partitions unique identity isn't carried forward with the image and that ID is linked to the license I believe.

So when I restore the primary partition, I too have to re-enter my key.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security