Author Topic: Settings always reverting back to original  (Read 10844 times)

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Settings always reverting back to original
« on: November 20, 2009, 11:48:04 PM »
I went into start up and recovery to change the settings so that it will make a complete memory dump next time my computer bsod but it seems like that the setting keeps reverting back to the original setting ::)
Any ideas on why this might happen?I use vista 32bit
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 11:59:55 PM by mathboyx215 »
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Re: Settings always reverting back to original
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 05:58:23 PM »
Anyone?

Offline PTRPRO

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 06:38:17 PM »
With more than 2 gigs of RAM on Vista 32 bits, it won't work.
Packard Motorcars said "Ask the man who owns one". They're not in business anymore.

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 06:59:36 PM »
Ok thanks.I have exactly 2gig of ram :P
Also, why wouldn't it work with more then 2gigs of ram?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 07:03:44 PM by mathboyx215 »

Offline PTRPRO

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 07:07:11 PM »
The great Gods at Microsoft haven't figured that out.
Packard Motorcars said "Ask the man who owns one". They're not in business anymore.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 07:16:55 PM »

How is this incorrect statement related.

32bit versions of windows (with some exceptions) can handle 4GB of RAM. The exceptions being some can handle more.

@ mathboyx215
The pagefile.sys must be large enough to be able to cater for the amount of RAM you have installed or it wouldn't be able to store the complete data in RAM at the time of a bsod.

I don't use Vista but in XP, you need My Computer, View System Information, Advanced tab, Performance, section (next to where you would change the memory dump details), Advanced Tab. From here, Virtual Memory, Change button and set the size to a minimum to cater for the amount of RAM you have plus some, see image example of my settings, minimum 2GB (the RAM I have) plus half again as a maximum, so 3GB.

You could however, set it to System Managed size, which should also work, but I prefer to control the size so it doesn't grow too big, by setting a minimum size it helps reduce fragmentation.

If you already have it set to System managed size, I don't know why this isn't retaining your settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 09:39:48 PM »
HI DavidR.I tried what you suggested but it is not working.Setting are still reverting back to original.Any other ideas?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 10:32:29 PM »
My only thought would not having enough privileges as this would require administrator privileges. Or the dreaded UAC, but I can't help on that side I have avoided Vista and stuck with XP Pro.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 10:51:06 PM »
Hi mathboyx215

Just in case you haven't visited this page yet.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

sded

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 10:55:47 PM »
Turn UAC off temporarily and try again; you do need to be an admin to change system settings.  Even if DavidR is still using XP.  :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 11:04:53 PM by sded »

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 11:30:12 PM »
Hi mathboyx215

Just in case you haven't visited this page yet.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649
So indeed,complete memory dump is not available on my computer.How strange ::)
The strangest part is that kernel memory dump option also doesn't work on my computer.

@DavidR and sded
I can't turn off UAC as every time I try to turn it off,it gives a continue and cancel option.When I click on continue, nothing happens :P

sded

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 11:43:44 PM »
Are you on an admin account?  There should be no problems turning UAC off and on.  I can also get full dumps with 2GB RAM.  A few days ago  spent 4 hrs uploading one to Avast! for the beta.  Invoked a BSOD from a hung machine and dump was generated after that.  ;)

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 11:47:03 PM »
Yes,I am on the admin account.

sded

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 12:00:14 AM »
Try another way to turn off UAC.  From the run command, type msconfig.  Under tools, select "turn off UAC" and execute the command line string you see.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 12:43:08 AM »
perhaps the specification - no complete mem dump over two gigs - is a bit misleading, and only put in place because it was thought that there could be problems with way too large dumps once computers started to run bigger and bigger RAM, and the kb article has not been updated because no ideal solution has yet to be found. So 2 gigs is still held as a benchmark but machines may differ according to the mem dump file that needs to be generated, and this may also carry through to the kernel mem dump. Is there any indication that your mem dump file will be excessively large? Are you carrying mem hungry load each time OS is running?

Check your system restore for recent changes - does it look okay to turn off and create a new restore point? If so, you can create a new restore point (say, save point as 'check mem dump'). And remove all restore points except the most recent by using Disk Cleanup utility (More Options tab) in System Tools.

Otherwise, back to an issue over admin privs, I guess.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.