Author Topic: Quickbooks Database Server 2008 on Windows Small Business Server  (Read 8905 times)

Brian1848

Quickbooks Database Server 2008 on Windows Small Business Server
« on: November 21, 2009, 08:03:44 AM »
Greetings all,

Been running Avast SBS on one of my clients Small Business Server for 19 months without incident.   QuickBooks database manager is running on the server and each of the clients accesses the files through a mapped shared drive to the server.

Last weekend, after a scheduled reboot, we started having problems that as soon as more than one person attempted to access a given QuickBooks file it would cause the server to instantly reboot (not sure if there is a blue screen as i am not onsite) which would in turn create errors on the client machines (which makes sense since the server is rebooting).

All version of QuickBooks on the server and the workstations are running the same release. After many hours of troubleshooting and a nearly 2 hour conversation with QuickBooks, I discovered the following.

(1) If I disable the Avast On Access scanners on the server, I am able to get multiple users to connect without an issue - but I am not happy leaving the server unprotected.  Though, I do have to open the file in Quickbooks ON the server first, then the client machines can open the file.

(2) If I leave the on access scanners on, I get the following system errors on the server when it comes back online: 0x00000024 (0x00190345, 0xb957b790, 0xb957b48c, 0x80843db8) and then  BCCode : 24     BCP1 : 00190345     BCP2 : B957B790     BCP3 : B957B48C    BCP4 : 80843DB8     OSVer : 5_2_3790     SP : 2_0     Product : 305_2      -- MY RESEARCH on this error points to "file write" lock errors that cause the server to reboot.

Running avast version 4.8.1038 with definitions 091120-1 (as of the writing of this email).   The avast ADNM is installed on this server as well.

Any ideas?  Is there a specific provider I should try disabling first?

Thanks in advance!

Brian1848

Re: Quickbooks Database Server 2008 on Windows Small Business Server
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 09:08:44 PM »
This is still an issue at one of my clients office - anyone have any insight as to what might be going on with AVAST to all of a sudden start causing the crashes.  One piece of information I forgot in my previous post, this occurred shortly after an update to the Avast Managed client that is installed on the server -- unfortunately it happened so long ago I don't have any pre/post version information to offer.

Thanks,
Brian

afzal

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 10:14:01 PM »
The Quickbooks database server apparently needs an admin to stay logged in
while it runs.  I'm wondering if you can make it run as a service or in a
startup script.  The fact that it also closes when you close it instead of
minimizing to the tray makes it look pretty lame.  What's the trick to make
it work, or do you chuck it and let a workstation control access to the
shared file?

It seems to be designed to search for QBW files on a whole drive instead of
simply remembering the folder you select.  Are users supposed to open the
file as before and rely on the manager to act transparently?  This mechanism
is strange for a database server.  Does it hook file access so that it can
find the file and control access to it whenever somebody opens any QBW file
on the selected drive?

Brian1848

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 10:18:22 PM »
afzal,

The database manager actually doesn't have to run - it just has to scan to find the file so it can write out a simple "config" file that the clients accessing the QB file know where to go to actually get the file.   IT IS VERY VERY VERY STRANGE for a database server but I have it working in three other client offices (one running the same exact hardware).

If the "instant blue screen" of death didn't occur, I'd have no problem leaving the DB Manager running all the time.  Unfortunately that doesn't solve the real problem. 

And oh - you'll love this - QB tech support suggested we reinstall the operating system.  To which I replied, there are 17 people accessing the server + Exchange server running, are you C-R-A-Z-Y??

Submitted an "official" trouble ticket to avast tech support but appreciate any insight/feedback others have to offer.

smithgary

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 06:59:41 AM »
NovelAspect is trusted by small businesses and accountants as an industry leader for quickbooks hosting. Your small business or accounting firm will have simplified access to Quickbooks at the lowest cost offered by any national QuickBooks Hosting provider.

Quickbooks is one of the most popular applications for managing business finances. With powerful report generation and extensive tools to track and manage all of your banking, expenses and income, Quickbooks also provides an easy-to-use interface that allows you to record many different types of financial transactions.