Author Topic: Avast Hang Up On Start Up  (Read 9974 times)

fxp

Re: Avast Hang Up On Start Up
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 05:54:56 PM »
Adding my two cents to this thread, running XP Pro no problem with avast! on two machines for over a year.  Recently, PC slows down bad at startup and springs back after about a half hour.  I checked the Event Log and their are plenty of Error entries as follows:

"The avast! Web Scanner service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

I don't remember doing anything to the PC when all this started and I am running the latest version of avast.  I wonder if this isn't part of the original Posters  problems?  I'd appreciate any thoughts on this one -- Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 06:31:44 PM by fxp »

Mr K

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 10:31:39 PM »
Well its over a week since i enabled  'delay loading of avast services after other system service' and i haven't had the hang at start up.  So its looking like a start up issue. Maybe the new version of Avast will solve it, but its working at the moment so assume I'm safe to keep my settings this way ???

Hally

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 02:27:52 PM »
Hi  :)

I have been using Avast for several months on my computer and my wife's.  I am running XP Home edition. Several days ago when my wife started her computer the Avast blue ball shows up in the task bar with a small circle with a red slash through it.  It hangs up until the computer is turned off and rebooted.  Some times it does not do it the second boot up and some times it takes several tries.  It did it for the first time on my computer this morning.  Second boot up it did not do it.

Could someone please tell me what is happening?

Rick

Re : *
That's a Coincidence  :-\
Coz...
I've been using Avast for approx 10 months now ( Laptop & Desktop )
Never had any problems before  8)
However!
This Morning...
I turned on my laptop - & - Avast's blue ball showed up in the task bar with a small circle with a red slash through it  :o
Luckily!
The small red circle disappeared within approx 2 seconds - & - Avast's blue ball returned to normal again.

One Other Thing!
About 5 minutes after my laptop had booted up....
I got that Avast News thing - Asking me did I want to watch a video  ::)

Must Be Half Asleep Today  :(
I've just noticed that this thread was started in April   :-[
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 02:30:49 PM by Hally »