Author Topic: Installing "Avast 4.8"  (Read 2257 times)

iddawg717

Installing "Avast 4.8"
« on: November 28, 2009, 06:49:28 PM »
Is it possible to download the program for "Avast 4.8" while running "Kaspersky 2010 version 9.0" cancel out the update download for "Avast 4.8", uninstall Kaspersky and then update "Avast".
I am in a very rural area and the only game going is dial up.
I have the disc for "Windows 7" and would like to run it. Vista is and has been a pain in the @#% to run!!!!!!
In order for me to update "Kaspersky" to the newest version for "Windows 7" I have to have either DSL or cable. Unfortunately there is not a DSL or cable connection to be had in the area.
I have already been round and round with "Kaspersky's" support to no avail concerning a disc.
Thanking you ahead in this matter,
iddawg717

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Installing "Avast 4.8"
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 07:08:20 PM »
1. Yes it is possible to download avast, just don't use the Cnet download link.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall. Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the English version and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do). - Direct download for avast Home, English version, http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe.

2. I have no idea what you mean by this "cancel out the update download for "Avast 4.8"." All you should do is download the avast setup file (37MB), go off-line, uninstall Kaspersky, reboot and then install avast.

avast should be reasonably up to date with possibly only a small incremental update on the virus signatures, but this shouldn't be large and can be don after installation.

3. What you can't do is have two resident AVs installed at the same time, even if one is disabled, low level drivers will still be running and can cause conflicts.

4. I really don't know what you are trying to achieve here, install avast or find a way to update kaspersky ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 07:21:54 PM »
you forgot on thing David.... :)

After uninnstalling Kapersky you should run the "kapersky uninnstall tool"  before you start innstalling Avast, this will remove all traces of kaspersky

you will fiend it here as Nr.15
http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/

4. I really don't know what you are trying to achieve here, install avast or find a way to update kaspersky ?
I think he want to install Win7 and the kaspersky he have does not run on Win7....... ???
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 07:26:39 PM by Pondus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 08:18:44 PM »
Well I didn't so much forget it as not knowing exactly what the OP wants to achieve.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

iddawg717

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 09:35:04 PM »
Sorry about that I am trying to update to Windows 7.