Author Topic: Computer won't start after pre-boot scan.  (Read 5084 times)

rd87

Computer won't start after pre-boot scan.
« on: November 23, 2009, 05:13:36 AM »
The other day I noticed that my friend's computer (Windows XP) was running very slow, so I downloaded Avast! for him and ran a pre-boot scan.  I found several trojans and ordered them all to be moved to chest; though none of the files that I moved to the chest were infected system files.

After I finished the scan, the pc started to boot up but instead stopped at a black screen.  I restarted the machine several times after this but only ever got the same black screen.  I am able to get to the bios but am unsure of what to do at this point.. once I back out of the bios I just get the black screen again.

help!

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: Computer won't start after pre-boot scan.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 02:08:54 PM »
Can you still boot into Safe Mode?
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 05:40:15 PM »
Have (or did) they another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tladd

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 11:40:32 PM »
I had the same problem today after installing avast on an XP pro machine and running a pre-boot scan. after deleting several Trojans, XP won't boot as it is unable to locate basebneg 32. Will not boot in safe or any other mode.  Also will not run windows XP disk because it says there is no hard drive.
Has anyone a solution to this?

bobo1

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 12:49:22 AM »
Xp cd rom is needed to either repair windows or format from scratch!