Author Topic: Avast 4 Professional and Internet Explorer Problem  (Read 2384 times)

Ancient Lady

Avast 4 Professional and Internet Explorer Problem
« on: November 23, 2009, 08:55:08 PM »
I have been running Avast Free Home edition on my computer for over a year and decided to upgrade to the Professional Version today.
After installing it and entering my new licence key I was unable to open Internet Explorer although my Windows Live E mail opened without a problem.
I tried stopping the processes in turn to see which one was causing the problem but this did not help.
I have now done a system restore and am back using the free version in order to try and find out why this happened before  re-installing the Professional version and was able to open Internet Explorer as usual.
I have Windows XP Media Centre installed.
Can anyone offer any help with regard to this?

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
Re: Avast 4 Professional and Internet Explorer Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 08:57:51 PM »
get dial a fix program then go to tool section and reinstall your ie.
any one still using ie ;)
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

Ancient Lady

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 09:03:42 PM »
Superhacker, sorry to seem so stupid but what is dial a fix program? Never heard of this

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 07:47:38 AM »
it is a small program can repair some of configuration,services of seystem after those things damaged and you can get it here
:
http://djlizard.net.nyud.net:8080/software/Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24.zip
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 08:18:40 AM »
It is not normally necessary to install the Pro version if there is a Home version already running. My understanding is that entering the license key you have purchased will be adequate to activate the Pro features.
If you continue to have problems, I would suggest a full re-install from scratch.
If you would like detailed directions on doing this, including the use of the Uninstall utility, please post back.

Dial a Fix is a good application. Contains many "fixes" for various system problems. Care should be taken in its use, however. If you aren't fairly sure about what a fix is supposed to do, best ask first. But it can't do any irreparable damage.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.