Author Topic: black screen after initial restart  (Read 2618 times)

beard

black screen after initial restart
« on: November 24, 2009, 08:18:57 PM »
after installing free home edition and restarting my laptop, i see the dell logo then a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner. what gives?

i cant get to safemode or anything, just had the computer restored to original settings and cleaned out by a techie, im lost please help!!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 09:03:20 PM by beard »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: black screen after initial restart
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 09:08:12 PM »
Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Are you able to boot into safe mode ?
Booting into safe mode http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

beard

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 09:51:38 PM »
no, cant get to safe mode. just had it cleaned out and reset to factory settings. there was no antivirus on it when i got it, but from going through the forum it sounds as if it could be the result of a conflict between whatever remnants of the previous AV are left and Avast.

any other suggestions?

beard

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 10:22:09 PM »
well, it matters if there is an ipod plugged in apparently. once i unplugged that, i got into safe mode

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 10:26:25 PM »
Check the add remove programs and see if there are any entries for other security applications.

With the ipod out are you able to boot normally ?
If not you could try uninstalling avast from safe mode and see if that allows a reboot.

Possibly a bit redundant now:
Sorry without any information on what that previous AV might have been it is hard to say.

You could try this tool and see if it lists any other security application - REVO Uninstaller freeware http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/revo-uninstaller/revouninstaller.html

You could check out the various download sites, snapfiles.com, download.com, majorgeeks.com, etc. and see if they have any registry cleaners that might find redundant entries related to security software. However, using registry cleaners aren't things to take lightly as they can ruin your whole day.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security