Author Topic: AVAST server edition clashing with AVAST home edition  (Read 7243 times)

cga

AVAST server edition clashing with AVAST home edition
« on: November 25, 2009, 08:46:35 PM »
Hi,

I have been using Avast home edition free in my client machine where I access my HP server console, then I installed AVAST for server edition for my HP Smart Home Server ex490 from my console ADDS-in  and it crashed the server,  server was freezed.

I tried installing it again and I got error message saying that it couldn't find the following path C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4  where I had installed AVAST home edition.  I think they were clashing

I  had to shut down server and uninstall my AVAST Home edition.

AVAST Home edition is uninstalled, then I open my server console and I have an AVAST icon on my task bar but AVAST is not installed and it doesn't show up in the ADDS-in installed in my server

How can I remove this AVAST icon from my server console task bar?

Any tool to remove this icon from server task bar

Please help

wpn

Re: AVAST server edition clashing with AVAST home edition
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 10:31:32 PM »
search is your best friend, so is google or bing.....

this kinda problems have been answered a lot of times already....

but ok, run this tool: http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

oh and learn:  one version of an AV is not the other, never try to installed 2 pro active antivirus packages at the same time, it will ... clash..

so run the tool and install the correct version

cga

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 11:13:54 PM »
Yes I have this tool, I used it before.

I didn't know they were both integrating, home and server edition

Just after I uninstalled my AVAST home and reinstalled it back now I got the serve edition to work as well in the server console and it has more features than the basic free home edition.

I have seen that even though they are integrated I need to get the license key for server version, it doesn't let me do the updates in the server console, is that meant to be like that for the trial?  I just installed it yesterday

When I click on Start main AVAST console under AVAST antivirus in my console task bar it tells me that I'm using an old VPS file (virus database)
Then I click on AVS update button and I get an error message saying

THE LICENSE KEY FOR THIS PRODUCT IS TEMPORARY DISABLED

Will this error message go away if I buy the license key and will I be able to update my virus definition?

Or this is a bug that I can't update the virus definition with a trial version?

Or will I go for Mcafee?

What's best for my HP smart home server ex 490?  Just waiting to take a decision :)

Thanks

Regards

cga

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 10:05:13 PM »
Problem sorted uninstalling AVAST and downloading AVAST again

Thanks